Matt Lauer

People Are Screaming

Bad Things At Me!!!

12/27/2012 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1226_matt_lauer_article_getty
Matt Lauer is "freaked out" that people -- and lots of them -- have been screaming at him on the streets of Manhattan, calling him names and blaming him for the demise of Ann Curry.

Network sources tell TMZ ... Matt is "miserable" over what he believes are hateful and unfair tirades.  Matt says the harassment is constant, with people screaming things like "You're a bad guy,"and "You got Ann fired.  Does that make you happy?"

Matt is telling people at NBC there have also been lots of sarcastic comments about his $25 million salary.  He feels "abused," insisting Ann's firing is not his fault.  But, as TMZ first reported, Matt made it clear when he re-signed -- he didn't want Ann in the picture.

One network source says, "It's driving him crazy.  He's so unhappy."

As for Matt's future at "Today," it's secure by default.  Aside from the fact that he has a contract, our network sources say NBC honchos are stuck.  They have no one who can step in and stop the bleeding.  As for Willie Geist, the new, 9 AM "Today" host, one very connected source says the sentiment is, "He's not ready.  He's not there yet."

Miki

Karma SUCKS...

Jim

Too bad so sad! I am supposed to feel sorry for this over paid jerk? Good Morning America is sooooo much better, they are a family, and it shows! ,,,,,,and here's whats happening in your neck of the woods.....Hahahah!

Sashatree

Newsflash for ya, Matt. YOU ARE A BAD PERSON -- YOU ARE AN EGOTISTICAL BASTARD! YOU HAD ANN FIRED -- DEAL WITH THE TRUTH!! WE LIKED ANN BETTER THAN YOU -- AND THAT'S WHY SO MANY OF US REFUSE TO WATCH THE TODAY SHOW ANY MORE!

yra87

What a loser

schoen1

Willie Geist seems like a nice guy, but he has no sex appeal and Matt is not cute anymore and is a complete jerk, but I'm still watching Today, because I don't like the alternatives.

Italia

I didn't like Ann Curry either, but didn't care much for Matt being so nasty as to not support Ann but to let it be public knowledge that he wanted her out of the picture. Now that she is out of the picture she seems to be doing all kinds of things to "get even". All of this makes me sick, which is why I watch "Good Morning America", which is a better show anyway.

Truth

MAN, JUST GOOGLED HIS WIFE... UGH, SHE IS A FUGLY SQUARE JAWED TRANNY. RU PAUL LOOKS BETTER. #TRUTH!!

Mary

I am sorry. I loved Ann Curry but she was not a good fit. All you people taking it out on Matt and Savannah are wrong.. Take it out on the executives... They have the power to hire and fire....

James

Boo Hoo Matt. Want to change places?

astrosteve

Like the story said, it was reported here MONTHS before Ann got fired, that when Matt re-signed his contract, he wanted Ann out. Months later - Ann gets the boot. And it's not Matt's fault? Liar Liar Matt! You get what you deserve - now no one likes you. You deserve that!

NBC should have never followed along and fired Ann is such a massively rude way. So now what do I watch? GMA!

Tala

Mattt Lauer is a douche. I agree that he use to be good but things went to his head. I love and loved Ann Curry she's a much better reporter/journalist then Matt.

Keno

Dude had it come'n miles away. That's what you get for being Hitler

Dinky608

OH BOO HOO! I should have all his money and be soooo unhappy! Buck up and quit crying like a little girl. There are people in this country that have no jobs at all!!

acarl590

I'm glad they got rid of Ann Curry!! Matt shouldn't be vilified but congratulated! She was awful! They never should have given her the spot in the first place!!!!

The Truth Hurts