Matt Lauer

People Are Screaming

Bad Things At Me!!!

12/27/2012 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1226_matt_lauer_article_getty
Matt Lauer is "freaked out" that people -- and lots of them -- have been screaming at him on the streets of Manhattan, calling him names and blaming him for the demise of Ann Curry.

Network sources tell TMZ ... Matt is "miserable" over what he believes are hateful and unfair tirades.  Matt says the harassment is constant, with people screaming things like "You're a bad guy,"and "You got Ann fired.  Does that make you happy?"

Matt is telling people at NBC there have also been lots of sarcastic comments about his $25 million salary.  He feels "abused," insisting Ann's firing is not his fault.  But, as TMZ first reported, Matt made it clear when he re-signed -- he didn't want Ann in the picture.

One network source says, "It's driving him crazy.  He's so unhappy."

As for Matt's future at "Today," it's secure by default.  Aside from the fact that he has a contract, our network sources say NBC honchos are stuck.  They have no one who can step in and stop the bleeding.  As for Willie Geist, the new, 9 AM "Today" host, one very connected source says the sentiment is, "He's not ready.  He's not there yet."

Mark426

Just go away Mr. Serious Journalist.....what a joke you are.

Becky

Who cares if Lauer is upset??!!!! He is creepy and for what he did to Ann, he deserves to be yelled at, and fired! I don't want to see his face on TV! I never watch his show anymore! He is a looser!!

Philip

Ann Curry was too emotional for "on air" work. She has always been too emotional. Also, Savannah Guthrie has a weird mouth, her teeth are always there because her upper lip isn't there. She looks like a 1956 Packard. Matt isn't to blame for the bad choices. Blame the suits in the offices.

Parissa

NBC is full of hot air! You can't tell me that there is NO ONE IN THE UNIVERSE that can take Matt Lauer's place! He's not God, although I'm sure he FEELS and THINKS he's God. Show your continued disgust by turning to CBS or ABC for your morning news and entertainment! I certainly do!

Melody

I guess Matt is finding liberalism and living in a bubble of make believe is not exactly worth it. We have been calling him names for years... he is just now aware??? What an idiot... an idiot with an ego! And by the way..25 miliion.... for what??? Over paid nit wit!

Crystal

One name hire Ryan Seacrest

justagirl

Karma is a bitch! We haven't watched since Ann was demoted.

Ann

Who cares. I never like Ann Curry and I don't like the biased coverage on Today. Good Morning America is so much better.

CynG

I feel the same way. I can't even bear to watch the show anymore, knowing what he did to Ann. She was a great, REAL presence on that show, and now all that's left are those puppet robots with the perpetual smiles pasted on and the canned jokes, it's just awful. Matt can't have it both ways. His arrogance caught up with him, didn't it? He wanted her gone, she's gone, and he can't hide from the fact that it's all on him. I hope his career is over with this. He's just awful, and I can't stand to even see him on TV or listen to his voice at this point.

fastdriver

Good! I hope they keep yelling at him! He's an egotistical bastard! I never liked him. Since the Ann Curry situation, I hate him even more!

Bill Hoover

Shame there isn't someone waiting in the wings or Matt's TODAY show spot. I'd love to see him run out of town and into obscurity. That is exactly what he tried to do to Ann Curry. He played real dirty with her because he knew she was much more well liked than he could eve be,

Odaliz

I was such a TODAY fan and a Matt fan but I can't stand him anymore. Just this morning my husband and I were commenting how arrogant he is and what he did to Ann Curry and everyone else he finds in his way....WE NEED RYAN SEACREST in his spot and watch the TODAY ratings to back up!!!!!

Odaliz

Bring RYAN SEACREST in and the Ratings will come back!!

Odaliz

What about Ryan Seacrest??????

Lil Lin

Oh Boo Hoo Matt - suck it up - w/ all the money you make - you will survive.