Matt Lauer

People Are Screaming

Bad Things At Me!!!

12/27/2012 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1226_matt_lauer_article_getty
Matt Lauer is "freaked out" that people -- and lots of them -- have been screaming at him on the streets of Manhattan, calling him names and blaming him for the demise of Ann Curry.

Network sources tell TMZ ... Matt is "miserable" over what he believes are hateful and unfair tirades.  Matt says the harassment is constant, with people screaming things like "You're a bad guy,"and "You got Ann fired.  Does that make you happy?"

Matt is telling people at NBC there have also been lots of sarcastic comments about his $25 million salary.  He feels "abused," insisting Ann's firing is not his fault.  But, as TMZ first reported, Matt made it clear when he re-signed -- he didn't want Ann in the picture.

One network source says, "It's driving him crazy.  He's so unhappy."

As for Matt's future at "Today," it's secure by default.  Aside from the fact that he has a contract, our network sources say NBC honchos are stuck.  They have no one who can step in and stop the bleeding.  As for Willie Geist, the new, 9 AM "Today" host, one very connected source says the sentiment is, "He's not ready.  He's not there yet."

Luis Botello

My wife and I stopped watching the Today Show because Matt is a snake. Matt does not have the "balls" to admit that he fired Ann. He is arrogant and a hypocrite.

Patriot Gal

He is arrogant! Not hard to imagine him being an ass! Just change the channel.

KT

Really. Did anyone think Ann Curry was a good host? Let's face it she sucked. Maybe it was crude of Lauer to push so hard. But as someone already pointed out. The truth is the truth. It's not Lauers fault. maybe the Today show execs need to do a better jpb interviewing before they hire. First Katie, then Ann. So far Savannah seems ok.

KT

The truth is the truth. Ann Curry sucked and that is why she was fired. Maybe Lauer could have stated the obvious with a bit more diplomacy, but it is not his fault that the today show execs are bad at hiring.

Troy Smith

NBC's problem is they kept Matt. I quit watching when he got a game show host as an anchor. Would have started watch again with Ann an another anchor. Who in the world cares where Matt is.

connie

I for one am happy with Savannah on Today. I like Ann a lot and think she is a wonderful woman. I did not like her as the co-host of Today. She was painful to watch sometimes. I think she does a good job with special stories but on the spot commenting was not her strenght. All of us are in the same situation with our own jobs, why should TV people be any different.

airplanefixer

I would be sad too, if I made $25 million per year !!!!! They can scream at me all they want !!!!

kingmanreader

This is such crap! I quit watching the Today Show the day they fired Ann. I now watch another morning show and wonder why I EVER bothered with the Today Show, I hope they all go down the tubes, Samatha, Matt, the only one I like is Al

Metatron

Sometimes the people get it right! Ann Curry deserved better!

Phoebe

I'm glad Ann Curry's gone - stopped watching because I couldn't stand listening to her simmpering. Love Matt Lauer so leave him alone!

mary hill

I think Matt's time has EXPIRED at NBC~~he has overstepped his boundary in every direction with many of his colleauges (sp) on the SHOW. Ann Curry has been overlooked tooooo many times and she is so classy and professional - i loved her - she had style and spunk and most of all Ettique and Class. If they brought her back, i'd go back to NBC, but on to other Networks due to that punk!!

gloria blewett

re: Matt Lauer

Matt needs to own up. He knows he said he did not want to work with Ann Curry and now he is paying the real price for wanting her out. I watched the Today Show for many years. I have not watched it since Ann's last day. I really like GMA. Matt is getting what he deserves. Please Ann Curry don't go back to the Today Show. Ann has too much class. She will find a new spot that really appreciates how genuine she is.

Joe

Ann Curry was terrible anyways and the show is better off without her. Matt did the right thing by only signing if she was cut and he shouldn't be ashamed.

MamaAmerica

It's SOMEBODY'S FAULT that Ann isn't there anymore and it was a HUGE MISTAKE to let her go. We all miss and love her`!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Louise M.

Why so many hateful comments. Do you people really know Matt Lauer? Frankly, I thought Ann Curry was annoying - too kissy, huggy, touchy/feelng.

Previous 15 Comments | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments