Matt Lauer

People Are Screaming

Bad Things At Me!!!

12/27/2012 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1226_matt_lauer_article_getty
Matt Lauer is "freaked out" that people -- and lots of them -- have been screaming at him on the streets of Manhattan, calling him names and blaming him for the demise of Ann Curry.

Network sources tell TMZ ... Matt is "miserable" over what he believes are hateful and unfair tirades.  Matt says the harassment is constant, with people screaming things like "You're a bad guy,"and "You got Ann fired.  Does that make you happy?"

Matt is telling people at NBC there have also been lots of sarcastic comments about his $25 million salary.  He feels "abused," insisting Ann's firing is not his fault.  But, as TMZ first reported, Matt made it clear when he re-signed -- he didn't want Ann in the picture.

One network source says, "It's driving him crazy.  He's so unhappy."

As for Matt's future at "Today," it's secure by default.  Aside from the fact that he has a contract, our network sources say NBC honchos are stuck.  They have no one who can step in and stop the bleeding.  As for Willie Geist, the new, 9 AM "Today" host, one very connected source says the sentiment is, "He's not ready.  He's not there yet."

Previous 15 Comments | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34

Mocephus

This is exactly the reason that I quit watching the today show!!!

jayne

ann curry drove me nuts.

Drylgrn

Matt should team up with Katie Couric for their own show. Nobody gives a **** about either one of those overpaid arrogant asses.

anonymous

give him a break! its business! people r just jealous... i bet lots would do the same thing he did..

LISA

LAST!

Jan

As long at Matt Lauer is on the show I will continue to be on ANY other channel. My other option is to leave the TV off. I can't believe the best one on the show was let go because of him?? Really, Matt Lauer?? what am I missing!!

annieo

thats because you are an arse matt..just a huge jerk.....a zero...of course they are yelling at you...DUHHHHTHEY HATE YOU !!!!!!

Karma Police

What goes around comes around Matt Lauer. Mr. Big britches playin God with peoples lives. Just as I was falling for Ann Curry as my new favorite morning girl you pull "THE POWER TRIP" of the season. You didn't just ruin the poor woman's TV career, you ruined it for all the people who really enjoyed her.
I was allways pretty indifferent to Matt Lauer in the past, I didn't Not Like him or anything, but since all this Ann Curry buisness I can't watch him.
I'm glad he's gone.

shirley young

Egomaniac!! And, no regard for others or his audience

tennwalk

I used to watch the Today show all the time. I have not watched since they got rid of Ann Curry I really liked Ann, she had such empathy and an uncanny ability to sooth. I wish they would still have her on in the evening news programs instead of Savannah I am not a fan of hers at all! I like Al and Natalie but have watched GMA since they got rid of Ann.

Previous 15 Comments | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34