Matt Lauer

People Are Screaming

Bad Things At Me!!!

12/27/2012 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1226_matt_lauer_article_getty
Matt Lauer is "freaked out" that people -- and lots of them -- have been screaming at him on the streets of Manhattan, calling him names and blaming him for the demise of Ann Curry.

Network sources tell TMZ ... Matt is "miserable" over what he believes are hateful and unfair tirades.  Matt says the harassment is constant, with people screaming things like "You're a bad guy,"and "You got Ann fired.  Does that make you happy?"

Matt is telling people at NBC there have also been lots of sarcastic comments about his $25 million salary.  He feels "abused," insisting Ann's firing is not his fault.  But, as TMZ first reported, Matt made it clear when he re-signed -- he didn't want Ann in the picture.

One network source says, "It's driving him crazy.  He's so unhappy."

As for Matt's future at "Today," it's secure by default.  Aside from the fact that he has a contract, our network sources say NBC honchos are stuck.  They have no one who can step in and stop the bleeding.  As for Willie Geist, the new, 9 AM "Today" host, one very connected source says the sentiment is, "He's not ready.  He's not there yet."

cloudydaze

What an arrogant shoe shine head db. $25 million? WTF? To talk into a camera? Try paying this whiner $15 an hour because thats what he's worth. Oh I doubt NYers calling him mean, I am sure they used choice words to describe him. Get rid of him!

Marilyn

Matt is B O R I N G!

onecent

I try to never wish "bad" on anyone, but Lauer is just getting what he has been putting out there for YEARS!!! I have NO sympathy for him. It makes me think back to when he stood by his "buddy" Bryant Gumbel when Bryant was stepping out on his wife. Lauer was right there egging him on as I am SURE Gumbel was right there egging Lauer on with all of his afffairs. I cannot fathom what ANY woman sees in that buck tooth snout nosed Lauer, or that FAT a$$ dweeb Gumbel. Lauer's arrogancy is flabbergasting, and it is about TIME he is being brought down a peg or two. People are hip to his crap and I'm proud they are calling him on it!

ria

Damn $25 mil? Just to read a TelePrompTer. Matt must be a great dck sucker. I'm guessing Ryan Seacrest was/is his mentor/coach.

Truth

The guy is getting a bad rap. What most people don't know is that Ann Curry is a egocentric nasty vicious woman. Just ask her neighbors. She is rude, disrespectful and a total phony. Al Roker is a sneaky, jealous backstabber who can't be trusted. The Today Show environment has always been a shark pool...remember Couric? It has to be a nightmare to work there and thats why they get paid the big $$$$. Lauer isn't half as bad as his colleagues.

Joey

He is lucky that the people aren't throwing things at him. He wanted the lackluster Savannah to be his new girl and did what he wanted to do to make it happen. I wish he would do the same to the Big Racist Roker

gamepro

about time i never liked him because he just thinks he is better then everyone else but hopefully one day he gets fired and then will know what its like to struggle

sasintaos

Matt: it's over...you're old news. I know this would be hard for you to do but for once do the "honorable" thing and leave voluntarily right now...thanks...there's your compliment...now do you feel better? See ya!

STFUP

No sympathy. He'd better invest wisely, becuase I have a feeling that once his current contract is up, that's it.

Pamela

Boo Hoo! I can't stand to watch him. He comes across as a jerk. Humility would do this guy some good.

Mustard

The show is much better when Matt and Al aren't there. I think they both have become to comfortable and are lacking the pizazz to keep the show going for three hours. I would rather watch Hoda and Kathee Lee discuss wine then watch Matt and Al jockey for one liners!

MYOB

Can anyone say zero personality?

Nonsense

$25 mil? Stop whining.

Pigweed

Douche bag!

hotandcold

"But, as TMZ first reported, Matt made it clear when he re-signed -- he didn't want Ann in the picture."

REAP what you've sewn, Lauer!!! How's it feel to be on the other end of the stick now? BWAH HA HA!!!!!