Robin Roberts

Won't Return to GMA

Til Mid 2013

12/30/2012 6:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

1228-robin-roberts
Robin Roberts
will not re-join the "Good Morning America" staff until May at the earliest, and more probably June, 2013 ... TMZ has learned.

Multiple sources connected to the show and the anchor tell TMZ ... Robin's medical issues make an earlier return way too risky, because her immune system is extremely weak.

We're told doctors are pleased with her progress and say she's right on schedule, but that schedule puts her on the bench for 5 or 6 months ... something she's not crazy about but realizes is necessary.

Sources at GMA tell us ... the honchos are hoping that Robin can return as early as February, but we know that's not in the cards.

And speaking of cards ... we're told they're coming in by the truckload -- cards, emails, etc, wishing her well.  GMA honchos believe Robin's return will boost ratings for the show even higher, which can become problematic for the struggling "Today" show.

Reality Check

Glad to hear that she is on the road to recovery.

me

I really like her alot. Even though I only know her from TV....she really seems to be one of the nicest persons. I wish her the best and will see her soon again on TV...when she is well enough to return.

backfire

ok tmi lots of people suffer, esp children who have no money at all......she's lucky. i wish her happiness but please tmi ...i am sick of feeling sorry for people who are wealthy and have the world at their feet....

Mary

Love Robin, take care of yourself, get well. I miss her on GMA.

Carlos Spicywiener

Man this bitch look's like death

dd

Your health comes first, get better and lots of rest.

Pigweed

Thousands off people recover from cancer. What's the big deal about here???

Lindsay Lohan Fan Forever

That's great. Her return will be very welcome whenever it happens. She is an inspiration.

Elizabeth

I am not a fan of Robin's either..So I didn't like her on good morning America; that is my opinion and I'm allowed to have it, as well..

devon

do we really need to see this horrific photo of her?? put something else up!

Nobrows

Get well soon.

Ginger

God bless Robin, hope all turns out well. Will be happy when she's back.

Marla

Lets not forget that Robin is not only recovering physically, but she is, at the same time still grieving for the loss of her beloved Mother! This emotional and spiritual cir***stance effects her physically as well---I wish her strength from the Almighty as well as continued Faith---which is what will make all the difference ! I hope that 2013 is a beautifully healing year for us all---especially, Robin! L"Chaim!

ThinStead

Wishing Robin all the best and a speedy recovery!

That Pop Life..yeah..