Huell Howser

'California's Gold' Host

Dead at 67

1/7/2013 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0107_huell_howser
L.A. TV icon Huell Howser -- best known for hosting the wildly popular travel show  "California's Gold" on KCET -- has passed away at age 67.

A rep for KCET tells TMZ, Howser died in his Palm Springs home early Monday morning of natural causes ... details surrounding his death have not been released.

He hosted his Cali travel show for 18 seasons -- and only recently retired in November after completing over 440 episodes.

Fun fact: Howser also appeared on two episodes of "The Simpsons" ... Matt Groening was a huge fan.

It's Dave

He'll will indeed be missed. Hopefully PBS will continue to air "California's Gold" for many years to come. I encourage my fellow Californian's to watch Huell's show and plan day trips to some of the locations featured in the show. I have taken many day trips and weekend trips based on destinations featured in Huell's show. It's amazing what we have here in our own and neighboring communities.

Rob

A sad thought last night turned out to be true, I have no clue how I knew something wasn't right but I did. I went to sleep last night and woke up abruptly, I didn't sleep any longer for the night after 11pm. Instead i stayed awake knowing something was wrong but not what. I wrote a proposal for work and finally fell asleep around 8:30 am only to wake up around noon with the need to look at the internet news. I gasped when I read it and literally tried waking up thinking I was having a bad dream. Today the 7th is my 32'nd birthday. Rob, a 32 year old grown man covered in tattoo who loves rap music, heavy metal and country music felt a loss for a man he didn’t know in his personal life. Yet it was a great loss felt for the world. The man I have referred to as California’s Grandfather, the only good description that I could give anyone who hadn’t known who he was had passed away. My wife came home about an hour later to find her husband in the shower, she came in to wish me a happy birthday and to her surprise her husband was sobbing in the shower. "Baby what's wrong are you ok? I know that you don't like your birthday but i didn’t realize it was this bad for you. Is something wrong?" "No, yeah.... You're going to laugh at me when i tell you my love." "No I won’t sweetheart what’s a matter" she asked. I could barely utter the words to her "Huell Howser passed away last night and I am completely devastated by it for some reason." You see, this is odd, I have little spiritual believe but that night i was up not knowing why but thanking about how sad it would be when Huell Howser passes away. I feel guilty as if my negative thoughts had something to do with it. In the last year i find myself questioning my own religious beliefs’, how was I thinking such a thing and why would this happen like this. I have no clue, what I do know is that California has lost one of the finest examples of California’s Gold that it has ever had. I have always thought celebrity grieving was sort of silly and funny. Why did this passing hit so close to home?
A couple years ago I set my own bucket list up Drive an Italian super car, See the northern lights, and attend a garth brooks concert. Purchase a home and the fifth item on my bucket list.... Meet Huell Howser... I got chuckles by friends from the last item on my list but you would be shocked how many people would think it was awesome. So much so that my dear wife Chastity tried to make it come true as a wedding gift. She sent Huell an email several months ago, asking to surprise me with an invitation to our wedding coming up in April. We are married on paper but our ceremony will be on April 6th. To her surprise one morning bright and early Huell Howser himself calls her up in September 2012. Huell respectfully declined the invitation stating he was a private guy and doesn’t want to steal any attention. Wishing us the best in our marriage and offering to speak to me some day on the phone. She told me about a month after it had happened, she was a bit disappointed in not being able to make one of my bucket list items come true and didn’t want to tell me but she couldn’t hold it for too long. Huell was so nice and awesome to talk to she said she had talked to him for almost a half an hour on the phone that morning. She planned on trying to arrange a call closer to our wedding day. I wish i would have taken advantage of Huells offer but its ok. Huell has given Californians and the world the gift of joy and knowledge. When i visit places in California i seek the advice of California’s gold and road trip... I have never been disappointed and always amazed with the sites Huell has shared with us all. My heart goes out to your family and friends as well as all the people of California. We have all lost the finest example of California’s gold that has ever aired on public television..... California’s Grandfather...... The ambassador of the great Golden State...... A great teacher for all the public....The personality that so many of us had welcomed into our lives as a historian on the state we love.... :')

Rob

Jorge

Love the pic tmz posted of him with his sexy sunglasses. He was the california man, no doubt. rip hugh we will always love you.

fu

you will be missed huell you are truly
californias gold

myopinion

RIP...He was the greatest!

Tom

Huell would have never called California "Cali".

Ruby

It's nice that no one is saying a bad word in comments about him, just like Huel himself, he never said a bad word about anyone, we should all be like that, they need to give him a statue in Ca, he brought more tourists to this state than Dismal-land

David

And as he enters the Pearly Gates, he'll stop, points and says, "That's Amazing"!
The long journey to find California's Gold will be found.
Huell, we will all miss you. RIP my Friend :(

Jerry

Got the chance to meet him one day. I must say he was one of the most friendliest people to strangers I have ever seen. He will be missed.

Billy

Huell , was a gentlemen and a scholar who will be truly missed and will always be a iconic here in
California,

whoami

Why is nobody questioning this "natural causes" death? With rumors of a terminal illness and a quick and mysterious death that might have been suicide? FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED TMZ!!

Gilbert Apollo

Huell radiated his unique-self in being Huell ... He caused us to give thought and appreciate the beauty in dirt, a piece of wood, how the breeze would make the leaves flutter on the tree, chickens roaming freely and the people that cared for their surroundings ... Just by being Huell ... We knew he loved it all.

In another blog, I read a comment, where it was said ... "He sang his song and let us sing ours" ... You can hear the song "I'm Going To Sing My Song Like My Life Depends On It" ... Scroll the video archives to 11/25/12/11: am ... Fast-Fwd. 2-hrs. into this video and you will see, hear and feel the essence of those words: http://www.agapelive.com/index.php?page=597

Gilbert Apollo

eugene88

i remember watching the show every morning before school with a bowl of cereal and a cup of tea i loved california gold best show on pbs

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments