« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Matthew McConaughey

'I Was Pissed Off'

at Lance Armstrong

1/20/2013 4:40 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0120_matthew-mcconaughey_lance_armstrong_getty_2Count Matthew McConaughey among those who were upset to learn Lance Armstrong had been lying all these years about doping ... saying he was mad at his close friend, but then eventually felt sad for him.

McConaughey and Armstrong have been BFFs for years -- both call Austin, TX home and the two have been known to work out together often.

But McConaughey says he was as surprised as anyone when Lance came clean, saying he took the news personally at first, but realized it was wrong to do so.

He told MTV News, "What was he supposed to do? Call me to the side and go, 'Hey man, I did it but don't tell anybody.' Then I would have really had a reason to be pissed off at him, going, 'You want me to walk around holding this?'"

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Legend

I don't get why anyone cares. No one in America watches nor cares about cycling so who cares whether he used whatever or not? And as for those people burning their Livestrong bracelets, i think that's silly too. Regardless of what he did to himself, his foundation has done a lot of great things for many sick people.

Beauty

What does me mean "walk around holding this..?"
The only people who feel burdened by confessions (other than those along the lines of murder or pedophilia) are weak individuals who are pressured by their inner loose lips.

HoTMZ

It sounds like he knew and is doing damage control, trying to convince people he didn't know so he doesn't get subpoenaed. Next thing you know Cheryl Crow will deny having known about the doping too.

stu

i bet Matt is top & Lance is bottom.

spectator72

This Just In:
I have just as many Tour de France wins as Lance Armstrong.

bob

LOL, I'm sure Matthew was totally caught off guard...and was mad...but more tha his source of may not be able to come through for him anymore. Who's next to act disappointed...Mark McGuire?

Ivan in Phoenix

Matthew has baby T-Rex arms!

speakMYbrain

yeah matt that what YOU WERE SUPPOSE TO DO. FRIENDS DONT TELL ON EACHOTHER! wtf are u a snitch?

jdotty

What happened to Matthew? He looks as though he's aging in dog years?? Yuck!!

jdotty

I'm even more pissed off that he's aging at the rapid speed of a dog!! WTH, Matthew? you used to be HOT!!!

jabberjaws

If he aint cheating, he aint trying.

notathere

every screwing person in the sport dopes and he just did it best Give this guy a screwing medal in my book and he should have just kept his mouth shout.

carpediem