Oprah Winfrey

Slapped

with Sex Discrimination Suit

2/2/2013 7:05 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0202-oprah-tmzOprah Winfrey does not look out for her own ... at least that's what is alleged in a new lawsuit in which a female exec at OWN claims she lost her job because she got knocked up.

According to a lawsuit filed Friday, Carolyn Hommel claims she was hired in 2010 as senior director of scheduling and acquisitions at Oprah's OWN network. Hommel claims she was told she was on-track to become a VP, but says things took a sudden turn when she became pregnant.

According to Hommel ... her duties were slowly transferred to a temporary employee and she was excluded from meetings when she returned from medical leave. Hommel claims she was let go ONE MONTH after giving birth and told to re-apply for the VP gig ... only to be passed over.

Furthermore, Hommel claims her boss, Michael Garner, fabricated a performance review that "made Hommel's job duties and responsibilities appear less 'senior' and therefore not a candidate for the new vice president position."

Hommel allegees her dismissal was a direct result of her becoming pregnant and requiring a medical leave.

kennedykh

....? Ok. The point to share this was..

DeeMaree

I'm not an Oprahite but I don't believe this. Maybe someone that worked for Oprah discriminated but I don't believe Oprah knew about or approved this. Because OWN has been struggling, there have been a lot of lay offs. Did this woman get caught in that? Idk but this high profile billionaire who is friends with the President is NOT going to get caught going against what she has been preaching for years. I will need a lot more than a disgruntled ex emploee's word before buying this load.

Mike44090

I think her being let go was a direct result of a failing Network. OWN didn't get the audience that Oprah got on her daytime talk show and has been flailing ever since it began, that's why she brought in temps in the first place. Oprah has always been a champion of woman's rights so I doubt that a woman getting pregnant would be a cause for her to let someone go.

Dean

its to obvious to be real . its like the boss finds out somebody is gay and this person gets fired after a month . Either she has really stupid people around her or something is missing in this story . You know you can't fire a woman one month after she gave birth without a really good reason . She would not accept it losing her job with a new born esp. in a high postion

JennaKennedy

This sort of thing happens all of the time...trust me, it happened to me where I worked. I chose to walk away with dignity and didn't sue, but I wish I had.

Cincinnati Sugar

No one cares about NOprah.

Jan

I believe this woman's story. Oprah lost my respect YEARS AGO.

judy jetson

Guilty.

lkelly816

Oprah is usually a pretty "hands on" boss. You can bet she'll get to the bottom of this sooner than later.

northern gypsy

i'm not a fan of the big O and i agree it's not discrimination but economics...perhaps if they had been more truthful with her about the failing network there wouldn't be this litigation...

antigirlygirl

???? I'm as confused as Manti's hoaxer.

static

Oprah is about Oprah haven't you figured that out yet?

James R. - Los Angeles

Okrah windfreed is also a racist.

skeyehi

I know this is going to bring the haters but...from a business point of view women of chilbirthing age are costing companies more than they are contributing. The companies insurance pays for the hospital stay then the maternity leave. They have to pay a temp who needs to be trained and in reality isn't as proficient as the regular eemployee. Then comes the sick and personal days that come when child care is an issue and again pay for a temp for those days. The woman has another child and the process begins again. I'm a woman and support the womans rights and all that but I honestly believe that women should consider how many men are out of work toobecause of the womans rights influx in the workplace. As an employer I would hire someone who is steady reliable and likely to be low cost to my company.

goaway

Oprah still personally sign checks for her company.
Hence, I have a hard time believing that she knew nothing about this. A terminations of a pregnant Women is a big deal and not exactly a smart move.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments