Will.i.am

I Build My Ugly Cars ...

To Teach Kids Science

2/26/2013 12:50 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

022513_will_i_am_launch
Will.i.am
has a damn good reason for building his hideous expensive cars -- like his new $900,000 Dick-Tracy-from-the-future jalopy -- telling TMZ, it's ALL FOR THE CHILDREN ... in order to teach them science ... or whatever.

We asked Will about the new ride -- recently spotted around town -- and he tells us, "I built the car for a project that I'm doing in inner cities. I round up a whole bunch of people who are qualified to teach kids science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. And through the course, they build vehicles."

He adds, "So I have to build different types of vehicles that can be used in a tutorial. That's the only reason that I build cars ... to invest in tools so kids today can have the skills for tomorrow."

Too bad it's impossible to build a car for less than $900,000.
 022013-will-i-am-launch-1

YouDontSay

He does admirable work with inner city kids. I wish others would learn from him.

Googie

For those of us who lived or live in the Boyle Heights/East Los Angeles area, we are aware of Will-i-am giving back to where he was raised. Not only does he help/donate there, but Will-i-am is very active in charities all over U.S. & the world.
Why aren't people criticizing Spielberg who spent $200,000,000 on his yacht built in the Netherlands? Yeah, $200 million built outside the U.S., while Will-i-am spending it in U.S. & has hopes of manufacturing cars & giving back to his old community.

Googie

will.i.am created the i.am scholarship to provide future leaders and innovators in Film & Television, Journalism, Computer Science and New Media with financial assistance for the entirety of their post-secondary education, as well as professional opportunities at Dipdive.com upon the completion of their course of study. More than just financial aid, the i.am scholarship is an investment in our future.

johnnydanger

What a sped.

Duke Steele

Well, he certainly isn't teaching them about design.

AAAAAAAAAAb

Claiming he's using the cars to teach, sounds like he's trying to get a $900,000 business write-off!

MJB's #1 Fan

He builds those ugly cars to match his ugliness. He keeps trying to make the cars uglier and uglier. I hope he realizes that his cars and face can't compete. He will always win the ugly competition.

stellasmom

Will.I.Am has been involved in FRC's FIRST Robotics, a group founded by Dean Kamen (segway inventor). He has appeared in a number of tournaments and I am glad that he is focusing on inner city youth.

coathanger

Why does this article come off like he knows anything about cars and personally builds them? He pays a shop to make these atrocities. He doesn't even know how to change a tire.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3