Carly Rae Jepsen

Cancels Boy Scouts Concert

They're Too Homophobic for Me

3/5/2013 10:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0305_carly_rae_jepsen_boy_scouts_article_gettyCarly Rae Jepsen has officially pulled out of a HUGE concert for the Boy Scouts of America ...  claiming she wants no part of an organization that doesn't support gay rights.

The "Call Me Maybe" singer had been booked to perform at the National Scout Jamboree in Mount Hope, West Virginia in July, along with the band Train.

But moments ago, Jepsen tweeted that she's yanked herself from the festival ... squarely because of the group's ban on openly gay scouts and scout leaders.

"As an artist who believes in equality for all people, I will not be participating in the Boy Scouts of America Jamboree this summer," Jepsen said.

She continued, "I always have and will continue to support the LGBT community on a global level ... and stay informed on the ever changing landscape in the ongoing battle for gay rights in this country and across the globe."

FYI -- Train has also backed out of the show ... but says they will be happy to re-join the show IF the Boy Scouts reverse their anti-gay policy.

They're still waiting ...

0920_gay_pride_footer

sophiastormy

Will she ask people to leave her concerts if they don't have the same views as her too. Or maybe prohibit sales to those who don't share the same view. Same with train. Music is a business. Not about political views. It's about music. These two are going to lose big.

Truth

This Political correctness is getting way out of hand. Enough already and lets just move forward with life.
Whats next? Gay men demanding the right to use the ladies public bathrooms? Or getting discount coupons from Victoria Secrets? It's getting old.

Susan Jones

Give me a break! If I knew priests, whom I trusted, were going to abuse my young boy, would I knowingly send him to a sleepover camp with gay leaders and scouts. I'd have to be STUPID!!!!

Suzanne Smith

Good for you Carly Rae Jepsen!!! You are a girl with principles and I'm glad to see you are not going to compromise that! Let those lil boys listen to some country crooners who think like they do! Now if we could just get rid of all the girl scouts mobbing me outside the stores trying to sell their stupid cookies that would be great! They are just as bad! Big fan!!

USArmy

She blames the kids? No more support for her. Another moron who lets their political views get in the way of common sense.

TR

Poor little girl. mushy headed child. Too bad the hollywood carnival people have such influence on the children.

Don

Gays and little boys, What could possibly go wrong? Com"on people!

Ronald

Let's go 'all the way' with this. Boys Scouts and Girl Scouts should be able to go on camping trips together. Let them double up in tents at night. Boys and Girls together. Also, let them share showers. They are equal, are they not?

Keith

I doubt whether many kids even care. I'm glad she won't be appearing, now they can get someone with some morals.

rmrmsix

Carly Rae Jepsen .. I hope you take that same stand when you gone the Dixie Chicks Tour too!!!

rmrmsix

Carly Rae Jepsen .. Hope you have that same attitude when you are on The Dixie Chicks Tour!!

agb1953

You don't take boys and girls camping in the woods together because they could be sexually attracted to one another and act out. The BSA doesn't want children in activities together where sexual conduct would be a possibility so they chose to restrict their membership to individuals not sexually attracted to boys. If you're gay you're saying you have a sexual attraction to boys, so you don't get to go on the camping trip. It's why they don't want gay men along either, because they might be attracted to the children. If you actually think having gay Scout leaders would be a good idea then you'd have to believe having gay Catholic priests worked out well. It's a Christian-based group. They get to say who can be in it. If you want gay and straight little boys sleeping together, start your own group. No, all gay men aren't attracted to boys, but some obviously are or they Catholic religion wouldn't have enough volunteers willing to be priests.

RA

Celebrities...always taking a stand in favor of perversion...

Robert Deitrich

I will be sure not to buy my children any of her songs. I was a boy scout.

gegeok

Maybe she needs to review the history... and she just how many kids were sexually abused and still to this day... more are telling about what happened decades ago!!! She can have a seat..m miss one hit wonder... Good way to disappoint the kids!!! Bissh