Carly Rae Jepsen

Cancels Boy Scouts Concert

They're Too Homophobic for Me

3/5/2013 10:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0305_carly_rae_jepsen_boy_scouts_article_gettyCarly Rae Jepsen has officially pulled out of a HUGE concert for the Boy Scouts of America ...  claiming she wants no part of an organization that doesn't support gay rights.

The "Call Me Maybe" singer had been booked to perform at the National Scout Jamboree in Mount Hope, West Virginia in July, along with the band Train.

But moments ago, Jepsen tweeted that she's yanked herself from the festival ... squarely because of the group's ban on openly gay scouts and scout leaders.

"As an artist who believes in equality for all people, I will not be participating in the Boy Scouts of America Jamboree this summer," Jepsen said.

She continued, "I always have and will continue to support the LGBT community on a global level ... and stay informed on the ever changing landscape in the ongoing battle for gay rights in this country and across the globe."

FYI -- Train has also backed out of the show ... but says they will be happy to re-join the show IF the Boy Scouts reverse their anti-gay policy.

They're still waiting ...

0920_gay_pride_footer

Edward Peddell

Good for you! We need to love everyone and promote acceptance of all regardless of race, creed, sexual preference, etc...

JG1

It's all a ridiculous publicity stunt. Are we to believe that these celebrities are the only people in the world who didn't know about the scout's ban? They agreed to do it with the intention of backing out for the sake of their own public image. Whichever side you agree with, using gay rights and young children to sell more records is disgusting. Oh, and side note to Ms. Jepsen, I'm pretty sure you won't find many BOY scouts who are weeping that they won't see you in concert. Maybe a few celebrating, but none weeping.

Shannon

Put Carly in charge of the logistics problem of having gay boys/scout masters along with straight boys/scoutmasters on the same camp out...... I'm going to get into law school right away so I can get in on some of the lawsuit money!!!

CoconutScrimp

This will surely bring in a few extra minutes to her fame. The "Call me, Maybe" can only last so long.

TxGal

IF their was a contract for this concert, I wonder if she had the right to pulled just because???

Anonymous

Who the hell is Carly Rae Jepsen?

Dillymac

Oh my what a civil rights pioneer you are Carly...... Now go jump off a cliff

haha.....

so everyone pulled out of a show because of policy ... policy that has been there for a long time....the bigger question should be why say you are gong to do the show.....to say you are going to do the show then pull out because of policy is nothing but a cheap publicity stunt.....i don't care for how the scouts feel...but it has not been a secret....i don't associate with them.....

jabberjaws

She can't piss off her gay fans. it would hurt her income. the big picture.

valentina

Good! What a great political move. Awesome!

Whizdom

What happened to this being America, and every American being allowed to believe in what they want to believe in? Because now, if you support Gay Rights your expressing your freedom to be an American but if you don't then you're homophobic? Really??! The main people infringing on people's civil rights now are the gays. I can't believe in what I want and I can't support what I want UNLESS it agrees with Gay Rights?? GTFO! I don't tell you what to believe in and you don't tell me what to believe in. No one wanted you're one hit wonder ass anyway...

Dillymac

So sick of being force fed everyone's sexual orientation! Enough already, you wanna be Peter puffer then by all means go ahead and puff that Peter, just stop telling me you're a proud Peter puffer! I love my wife but I'm not gonna demand that the whole world needs to know because I don't care what the world thinks only what myself and my family thinks.

isThePoPeGAY?

I remember Sinead O'Connor. What a singer she was. Until her comments against the Church. And then it came out that there were GAY priests! My LORD. Isn't homosexuality frowned upon by those professing to follow the teachings of the bible? And now the BOYSCOUTS don't want to embrace the LGBT? And now a singer can express her views without repercussions? What a MESSED up politically correct world we now live in!

Tom

Why would she schedule a concert with them in the first place? It's not like this is a new thing with the boy scouts. They have been in the spotlight with this homophobe crap for a while now...

CLINT

So she accuses, and rightfully so, the BSOA of gay hating, yet it is all right to have the LBGT bash any one who doesn't agree with their lifestyle? I don't get it. You can make a stand for what you believe, religiously or morally or even for corrupt purposes, but you will in turn be labled gay haters, homophobes, or even worse if you don't agree with that certain lifestyle. Personally, I don't care what anyone wants to do with theire life. That is what is so great about this country, you can be whatever you want to be. Just be prepaired for the backlash. No matter what your opinion is, somebody will not like it.