Kelly Osbourne

Doctors Say

Epilepsy A Possibility

3/9/2013 9:25 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0308_kelly_osbourne_getty_articleKelly Osbourne's seizure may have been much more serious than first suspected, because doctors say she could be suffering from epilepsy.

Kelly has been hospitalized since suffering a seizure Thursday on the set of "Fashion Police." Sources connected with Kelly tell TMZ ... the seizure was far more serious than first suspected. Doctors are running tests and we're told she'll be in the hospital for at least a few more days.

We're told doctors say there's a real possibility that Kelly is an epileptic, but it's possible it was an isolated incident.  If it's the latter, docs need to figure out what happened and how they can prevent another episode.

In the meantime, Kelly is on anti-seizure meds.

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

mistys

Get well soon.

roxey

When you are a everyday person with barely any money and you have a seizure they send you home tell you to check in with a Dr blah blah when you are a CELEB with money they think the worst keep you for days run all kinds of tests tell you it may be epilepsy *eye roll*

everything is always drama with these celebs wish her the best but that is one hell of a diagnoses so quickly from one minor seizure

Jennifer

Epilepsy is an old-fashioned term used to describe a condition where the patient has seizures. It does not address the CAUSE of seizures. Ms. Osbourne is more likely going to be diagnosed with seizure disorder, which is the more modern term for seizures of unknown origin or not caused by substance abuse or electrolyte imbalance. I never had a seizure in my life until I was 21 and an active-duty U.S. Marine. I had a grand mal seizure in front of my barracks, "came to", and then drove off disoriented in my car. When I regained my true consciousness, I was late for my job and my car was wrecked because I had had another seizure while driving, hit something (to this day I still do not know what!) and drove on some more. I am very fortunate that I did not hurt someone else that day. I could have killed an innocent bystander and not known it. Since my first seizure, almost 14 years ago, it has been discovered that the cause of my seizure disorder is a neural tube defect, caused in the first trimester of my fetal development. Just a random thing that happened-and I'm very, very blessed that my condition it not worse. Perhaps Ms. Osbourne will find out the cause of her seizure or maybe she will not have another one ever. I hope for her sake, they get her on a medical regimen that works for her and allows her to live a full life with minimal side effects. Some of the medications for treating/preventing seizures are very hard to live with. It took me five years to find a drug that didn't make me sleep 18 hours a day and be in the "twilight zone" for the remaining six!

Gypsy

I LOVE Kell, but I cant help but wonder if the cause could possibly be withdrawals. I had some really bad seizures last year for the first time of my life, at 30. I was hospitalized for a week and still no "cause", Im pretty sure it was bc I had been prescribed clonapin, then I moved and didnt immediately find a doctor to continue the script or taper me off of it. It took me a while to come to this conclusion bc I hadnt taken any in a month and I assumed "withdrawals" would happen in a few hours and last maybe a week or two. I brought it up to the docs but they never mentioned it again or asked me anything else about it.

Suzi

I hope this was a one time incident and that she will be fine. This girl has worked really hard to get her life and career going and she deserves a chance at a happy self made life. Good luck girl, I wish you the best.

jwoolman

Her dad does have a genetic neurological disorder which of course wasn't helped by all the drugging he used to do. But she was using drugs since her early teens so it's possible that (along with the family history) that's had an effect. But it could also be a one- time thing. I imagine they're all pretty worried at this point.

STFUP

It's certaily a possibility. I have epilipsy myself but wasn't diagnosed until an incident where I passed out when I was 38.

mama2356

I had epilepsy from about 2 till about 19. I had seizures! I got epilepsy as a result of a high fever, but you can get it from a head injury also. I was Lucky and grew out of it! I hope she feels better!

keith

Xanax withdrawal. Or alcohol withdrawal.

Ashley

i know what a seizure feels like i have them too.

Dee

To the nimrods who think this is funny, you need to get a reality check and show some compassion. Sometimes it takes a lifetime to have a seizure or you can have them your whole life. While true one seizure does not make you a person with Epilepsy the doctors were prudent in their treatment. I hope for Kelly, this was a one time occurrence. For you nimrods, and I use the term loosely, and as a parent who lost a daughter to SUDEP (Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy), and yes death is a possibility have some compassion. Some are filled with concern and some of you have no heart and think this is a big joke. After losing a child to this disease, IT IS NOT A LAUGHING MATTER. For Kelly, there is a loving community that will help her in any way we can. that's my rant.

Dave

Fail TMZ! You are all about the sensationalism instead of journalism but by adding a few lines you could have still made this a sensational and educated the public. Things like more people die in the US each year from Epilepsy than breast cancer. 1 in 26 people will have an epileptic seizure in their lifetime. Epilepsy affects more people than cerebral palsy, cancer, tuberculosis, muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis combined.

carolyn waits

Kelly honey so sorry to hear about your crescent possible setback. I was diagnosed when I was in my early 40's. Caused caused by accident at work (head truma).Thought the world had come to an end. But lifn. Wt. meds.

carolyn waits

But life goes on. With meds the seizures have been controlled. Am going to be 69 this year. Since 2008 have been diagnosed with 4 different kinds of cancer 1 of them incurable. Since 2011 I have been in remission for all of them. I pray that things in your life turn out to be controlled as mine have been. Good Lord willing,I'm going to out live both my parents both are 97 and still very healthy.

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9