Ed Asner

Hospitalized

Medical Emergency During Live Performance

3/13/2013 8:48 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0313_ed_asner

Ed Asner was rushed to a hospital near Gary, Indiana yesterday ... after the 83-year-old actor suffered a medical emergency during a performance of his 1-man show.

15 minutes into his play "FDR" -- crew members escorted Asner off the stage after noticing the actor struggling with his lines.

According to SunTimes.com, Asner was taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital for treatment.

Asner is a Hollywood legend -- having won Emmys for his role on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and the spin-off "Lou Grant."

He was also the president of the Screen Actors Guild.

update_bar
8:45 AM PT -- TMZ spoke with Ed's son, Matt, who tells us ... "My dad is doing fine. He was rushed to the hospital yesterday for being disoriented on stage."

"He is resting now at an Indiana hospital and is doing well and very grumpy, which with him is always a good thing."

"He is being assessed right now and what I can say is that it was not a stroke. That much we do know."

"He was feeling under the weather for a few weeks so he may just need some rest but for now he is just fine."

Ed is currently resting at a Chicago-area hospital -- and his rep says the actor is expected to be released later today.

dierdre

Love Ed Asner. I hope & pray he will be ok. This picture of him doesn't make him look good. A great actor & commedian. I loved him on the old 'Mary Tyler Moore" show. I wish him well.

pete shallac

Get better Ed!!!

susyq

I went to see FDR when he was in Jackson Hole, WY. Fabulous performance!! Get well soon Mr Asner. you are a classic!!!

MoraMore

I HOPE YOU GET WELL!

JimmyCrapCorn

Sad news...best wishes to Mr. Asner.

susyq

I saw Mr Asner in FDR while he was in Jackson Hole, Wy. a fabulous performance! i wish him a quick recovery. he is a classic and a class act !

PhilipMarkum

Great guy in all respects. Has done a lot of work and donations for Auction Cause. Get well, Ed...you're the best.

Rhubino

I just saw him on TV yesterday talking about Valerie Harper. If this is the beginning of the end for him, I hope he adopts some of her attitude. She's been quite amazing, IMO.

tom p

I would die if I had to go to Gary, IN too. Poor man, no one should have to endure that.

Missouri

Ed Asner Hospitalized during Live Performance on Stage Video Here http://tinyurl.com/Ed-Asner-Hospitalized

Grandma Cracker

Love to Ed Asner. Get well soon!

Sarah

I hope he's alright! Such a talent. MTM is one of my favorite shows every. Lou Grant was classic!

JJS

Good! That douche supported a convicted COP KILLER. I hope he rots in hell with'em!!

Richard Frost

First -- it was Rhoda...now it's Lou Grant -- who's next? Mary? Let's hope that they all hang in there -- because they all have spunk...plus who'll be there to remember Chuckles the Clown?

tmzer

dunno how much off a legend he is, but i seen him on five-0 recently tho. ;)

hope he gets better.