Vanderbilt Student

I BOMBED Calc Test

After My Billy Joel Duet

3/14/2013 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Billy-Joel-Sing-piano-student
Jamming out with Billy Joel is terrible for your report card ... just ask the Vanderbilt freshman whose impromptu duet with the Grammy-winning singer cost him a passing grade on a calculus test.

In case you haven't seen the video -- Billy was at Vanderbilt in January for a Q&A ... and a student named Michael Pollack mustered the testicular fortitude to ask to play piano for Billy while he sang "New York State of Mind." Billy agreed ... and the footage is incredible. Pollack KILLS it.

But the adrenaline rush was so big ... Pollack tells TMZ, he couldn't get himself to concentrate on studying for a big calculus test. The next day, Pollack says he failed the test with a 69.

Pollack tells us, "I'm pretty good at calculus, but it was hard to focus when you perform with your idol ... I have no shame. I got a 69 on the test, compliments of Billy."

We're not worried either ... as Billy told Michael on stage, "I think you're gonna do fine."

KittyKittyKitty

It's only one test.

Vinny

awesome job dude

AreUCrazy

I give him as much credit for asking as I do for his performance.. how many other people wish they would have the guts to ask but don't.

Dee

Last time I checked a 69 is not failing...it is a D+ not an F.

pegasus

You got 69'd? I'd say you scored.

LK

BRAVO !!!

DudeLebowski

It's not Billy's fault that you flunked the test, you stupid jerk. He didn't force you to play the piano with him, it was your idea. Grow up and learn to take responsibility for your own actions....

LISA

That was awesome! Michael Polluk did an amazing job - I hope someone gives him a copy of the video. Billy Joel is incredible ...

jules

Awesome! Sign this young man up!! Calc who!! BRAVO!!

Liz

That was great!! And I remember Billy Joel doing this song more than any others on the 9/11 telethon back in 2001.

catster

WTF! I can't believe Billy agreed... What a cool guy! I love it when my idols end up being awesome. And props to Pollack for having the guts and the talent to pull it off. Petition to retake the test!

who dat

Best video i have seen online. Watching a Super Star like Billy Joel get into a surprise performance was interesting. A cool moment at the end when Billy shows him respect. Billy is a class act. The performance was unbelievable. Shout out to Michael Pollack. Billy Joel is right, you have chops.

ibbaby

And that's how ya do it!!! Dang boy, you soared with an eagle.

Blue Lake

At first I thought the clip was cute, but what a disappointment. Now he can work in a piano bar instead of having a real career as an astrophysicist. Dumb kid.

namers

Awesome Michael! He should get a re-do on the test; be a long time to come down from that one.

One time I saw U2 where they plucked someone from the crowd playing air guitar, taught him three cords and as the lights went down he was the only one on stage strummin'. Hell, I still get chills!

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments