Pastor Rick Warren

Famous Evangelical's Son

Commits Suicide

4/6/2013 11:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0406-getty-pastor-rick-warrenThe youngest son of Saddleback Valley Community Church pastor Rick Warren has committed suicide after a long battle with mental illness.

Pastor Rick made the announcement Saturday at his church in Lake Forest, CA. He informed members of his congregation that his son Matthew took his own life Friday night. He was 27.

The church also released a statement, saying, "Matthew was an incredibly kind, gentle and compassionate young man whose sweet spirit was encouragement and comfort to many. Unfortunately, he also suffered from mental illness resulting in deep depression and suicidal thoughts.”

Rick is famous on the evangelical circuit -- he's the author of numerous Christian books, including "The Purpose Driven Life," which has sold over 30 million copies worldwide. He also founded Saddleback Church in 1980, the 8th largest church in the U.S.

Garry

I am very sorry for your loss, Pastor. I am also sorry that during your time of sadness, you have to endure such insensitive and evil remarks. I will pray for you and your family, as well as those who attack with such vitriol. God Bless..

XRaac

I bet it was the medication

str8edgewriter

Typical looney anti Christian posts by leftists. Predictable and expected. Yawn. Try being gay/female/Jewish or pretty much anything around the Muslim community and then tell me who the real hate mongers are.

Ruby

You can't save someone from mental illness you idiot. All you can do is get them help and be there for them as much as possible.

Stop It

O see so many people posting talking about why didn't god save him. Trying to say that there is no God. I hope those people one day get to know God. You will be better for it.

Areader

My prayers go out to the family.

Kàt

Remember when your mama use to say: " If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".
Now would be a good time to heed to that.

HoTMZ

How can he go to work, talk to a group, 1 day after his son has killed himself?? Before the body's gone cold, not even buried yet. I don't get one people.

Jt

Does it matter if he was gay or not? No! What matters is the world has lost a wonderful person named Matthew and the Warren family have lost their son.

Blah

I'm so sorry. My prayers go out to Matthew's family, friends and Pastor Warren's congregation.

Toallthehatersoftheworld

Wow that's so sad

Debbie

Not everyone who is depressed is struggling with the Gay Life Style. How unthoughtful for people to put these comments on here. Not everything revolves around "Gay" issues.
God Bless you Warren Family.

Angel in the house

How heart breaking. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Black

Can't always depend on god to raise your kids. In the real world MONEY IS GOD

Runner mom

RIP Matthew! Thoughts and prayers to the Warren family.