Pastor Rick Warren

Famous Evangelical's Son

Commits Suicide

4/6/2013 11:20 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0406-getty-pastor-rick-warrenThe youngest son of Saddleback Valley Community Church pastor Rick Warren has committed suicide after a long battle with mental illness.

Pastor Rick made the announcement Saturday at his church in Lake Forest, CA. He informed members of his congregation that his son Matthew took his own life Friday night. He was 27.

The church also released a statement, saying, "Matthew was an incredibly kind, gentle and compassionate young man whose sweet spirit was encouragement and comfort to many. Unfortunately, he also suffered from mental illness resulting in deep depression and suicidal thoughts.”

Rick is famous on the evangelical circuit -- he's the author of numerous Christian books, including "The Purpose Driven Life," which has sold over 30 million copies worldwide. He also founded Saddleback Church in 1980, the 8th largest church in the U.S.

bright eyez

How sad. r.i.p.

Calico

Some of you seem so cruel. How horrible it must be to lose a child.
My condolences to the Warren family.

Mulan

My heart goes out to them...

And regarding some of people on here making snide comments, I guess they don't mind having their friends, family, acquaintances and strangers laugh at them when they face personal tragedies?

Jt

Fact is one one know what his sexual preference is. It does not matter what his father has said in the past, Matthew is dead. May he RIP and may his family be comforted in this difficult time. Mental illness can affect anyone and it is a very hard thing to fight.

Sue from jersey

Anyone out there that thinks dying is a good choice is wrong we all know things will get better and we have more good days then bad make your life better choose to life dying is not the easy way out you also hurt your loved ones

Pamela

Sad heartbreaking news to hear. I like Rick Warren. My heart aches for his family. Dealing with a child with mental illness is a struggle

Nonsense

When somone believes in absolutes and closes their mind to consider those with differing views, pain always follows. My heart goes out to the young man who must have suffered immense pain and suffering.

Hal

For those who seek to take advantage and kick God's servant at his darkest hour, you might want to read the story of the prophet, Job. You have unwittingly allowed yourself to become a tool of Satan. May God have mercy on your soul. I hope you never face tragedy of this proportion, but weigh your words carefully for you one day will bow before the Almighty God and you will account for every word & deed. What act of love & kindness have you done for your fellow man today?

KnuckleDragger

Everybody wants to go to heaven...but nobody wants to die.

TMP

RIP and I hope that his family heals quickly. This isn't mean to be offensive but how do such religious people handle it when a family member commits suicide? I am an atheist, but I've read the bible and other religious texts and I know that they see suicide as a sin. I've always wondered how they handle something like this. It must be horrible not only to lose a child, but to then have such conflicting emotions about the whole situation. I hope they find peace in their faith. I also hope that they did what they could for their sons mental illness, I know that a lot of very religious folks disregard modern medicine and rather rely on prayer to heal people...

Ivan in Phoenix

One of my best friends took his life Christmas week nearly 25 years ago. It still bothers me to this day, especially around the holiday season. If you are struggling with suicidal thoughts please ask for help because it is going to affect others for a very, very long time.

nonexample

1-800-273-TALK There u go, Ivan.

joecrabs

The gays on here are some of the most bigoted bunch of fairies I've ever heard.

Courtney

I am so sorry to hear this news. I really like Rick Warren. I read his book the Purpose Driven Life a few years ago after I lost my job, my husband left, and I was just going through a very tough time. His book gave me hope and helped me to realize that I was not alone. My heart breaks for Rick Warren and his family. May God strengthen them through this very difficult time.

Babypinkribbons

"Strangely" the eldest son of Reverend Gene & Betty Frank, Gene Frank Jr., of Rosenberg, Tx, also committed suicide. Yes, the same family that also list their daughter Keitha & Betty two & a half months later to Keitha's husband, a warden @a local prison facility near their home, who's since been executed.