'American Idol'

JLo WILL Return

Asked to Replace Mariah

4/24/2013 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Exclusive Details

0424-jennifer-lopez-mariah-carey-AI
Jennifer Lopez
has been approached by Fox execs to return to "American Idol" for the balance of the season ... to replace Mariah Carey ... sources connected with the network confirm to TMZ.

We've learned Lopez will appear on the now ratings-challenged show on May 16 to debut her new single, but Fox has bigger ideas -- they want to stop the hemorrhaging quickly and bring the former judge back on the show.  The Hollywood Reporter first posted the story that JLo could be returning.

And the show is in trouble.  Last week's ratings were the worst since the show debuted in 2002.

Sources tell us Fox is scrambling to find a solution, and ironically they think Lopez could be the answer.  We say ironically because network execs would not ante up the cash JLo wanted to stay on the show this season.

We're told as of now ... no deal has been made.

UPDATE:  A Fox spokesperson tells TMZ ... "This is just another ridiculous "Idol" judge rumor, likely started by talks of Jennifer performing on the finale."

homo

they both washed up all ai has to do is get simon back x factor is nt working in the states

Joh San Juan

I don't think JLo might come back and just leave her alone for a long while.

sharb

I like Mariah. I quit watching because of Nikki!

cmg

this show is still on?

Julie

I just don't understand the thinking here! Let's look at Nicki Manaj. "Mmmwell honey ay think mmmyour mmmbreasts are mmmbeautiful" That creature is cheap and sleazy! Then there's Randy, "Listen dude, you were "pichy" and "the runs" were not good" (what the hell does pichy mean and does the contestant have diarrhea? At least Mariah and Keith are literate and give intelligent responses. JLO was a complete bimbo last year! The ratings have dropped because it's become obvious that the show is staged!

PictureUp

they need to get rid of that fake blonde talking sock puppet Minaj more than anyone else!!

shelley

I find Mariah far more boring than I anticipated. Four judges is too many. By the time they're done talking, it just seems forever and they all repeat the same thing. I love Keith Urban. Go back to 3 judges. One younger to appeal to younger audience, one country (like keith) and one who is more behind the scenes in production like Randy.

Julie

"Mmmwell hunny ay think your mmmbreasts are mmmbeautiful" (guess who?). "Listen dude, woah dude, your "runs" (in Australia we call that diarrhea) were "pichy" (can't find that word). Randy (in Oz that means you are horny) is also illiterate! Keith (without that phony American accent), is good but too kind. Mariah shows her wealth of experience and patience. Replace the sleazy, uncouth creature with the nasal problem and the "dude" and the show may have a chance. As for JLO! Another self promoting, scantily dressed bimbo who contributed little to the show.

Ahha!

Probably the majority of AI viewers can't even name one single Nicki Minaj song, and they think Mariah needs replacing? I have only watched the past two weeks of this AI season, but I thought Mariah and Keith seem to offer some helpful, intelligent criticism.

Dee

This show started going downhill a number of years ago. Regardless of who you have..the show has run its time.

hgefre

I agree with the other posters. I cannot look at Nicki Minaj thererfore I have discontinued watching this show. Mariah is not the problem. And to top it all off, I have read Nicki was invited back for next season if she wants to. YUCK, and good bye Idol in my household.

Paulina1982

#Mariah# J-Lo can't sing

thegamemk

One giant over the top karaoke show. Judged by an ignorant valley girl/ghetto whore.

mcf1040

Show has run it's course.

thegamemk

Nikki needs to go. Her voice is so annoying. Fakest valley girl "Evvvver!"