Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

Mr. G

It's been generations since slavery. When all else fails, bring out the race card. I guess since her ancestors were slaves, she thinks she is entitled to special treatment. She's just pissed off because she got caught. Get over it and do your time in jail!

Majer

BS "child of.." and the "your honor I have six children" - yeah you do, but five of them are with daddy Rohan Marley via court order. And you got caught UNDER-reporting your income. You thought no one was going to check on a 8 time Grammy winner ? & actress in 7 movies? DUMB !

dx2041

slavery, really? Made million$ and still using the race card. Weow!

Sally

Laureyn Hill is going to jail for 3 months for one mistake. Lindsey Lohan is going to a "rest" home for the umpteenth time. Whats wrong with this picture.

Tracey

What about the rest who too owe millions of dollars to the embodiment of a Government, who too, cannot generate their own incomes (having to rely on everybody else' honest earned monies to be chunked out and given to a bullying, terrorizing sect of persons who does very little as for improving matters in LIFE for a lot more folk).

Suzi

Three months...harsh sentence???? Give me a break. I've met women who are doing life whose only crime was protecting their children. I think someone needs to rethink their definition of harsh. Get a grip, pay your little penalty, and move on.

InThe NameOfJESUS

WHY is it that when people in the public eye, the ones that we call stars who get sentenced to jail time, that they do not have to report to jail for a few months? When someone or most people who commit a crime and they are not in the public eye, they court police take them to jail right then and there? Are we saying that these people are above the law? And on the subject of being above the law, how come some judge has not sentence Lindsey Lohan to at least (2) Two years in jail. I seem to remember Robert Downey Jr. going to jail for a few years, and he came out not using alcohol and drugs...Maybe when the courts finally find a judge with enough balls or tits to put Lindsey in jail for about 2 years, and not 20 minutes, then she will straighten her butt up !!!

Barbara

This biatch.. has to pay her taxes just like all the rest of us.Ignorant azz. and she is trying to pull the racist card? She's dumber than she looks.

clesiera

She couldn't be more full of ****...

Wayne

I haven't any respect for those who continue to play the race card. Such as Jesse Jackson and others.

Edward Serio

Talk about a racist bitch,***** should of got more time just for pulling the oh woo is me I just a poor black person

Edward Serio

What a beotch playing the slave card,we all be slaves to the IRS,get use to it *****!

storm

I mean, right is right. everybody pays taxes, and it dont matter the color of your skin. Hell, im black too, and i have to pay them.

Schnazzybo

they say scraped together 970,000 like it was change in the cushions of her couch..............poor thing had to scrape up almost a million bucks. Ive been trying to scrape together 5000 for a business startup for 7 months.....not there yet

The Ger

You got nothing better to say in your defense except use the race card? Be an adult, pay your taxes. Now do your time for evasion.