Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

Previous 15 Comments | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

Dan Brown

This young lady gets 3 years for failing to pay taxes, while Lindsey Lohan continues to get a slap on the wrist for DUI, theft, and failure to appear. Me thinks there's a bit of racism involved here.

El Dee Bee

I wish I made enough to owe that much tax.

J.E.B.

Shame on her for playing the race card, calling the situation similar to slavery. If you're rich and don't pay taxes, you go to prison. Simple as that, dingbat.

teno

enough of playing the I'm the victim.

Charles

Us people of the Maafa must learn to see and observe the traps set to return one to slavery per the 13th Amendment. And for us to believe they are our friend makes us that much of a scapegoat and a sucker.

GERALD OHARE

Man the IRS is tough on black entertainers. Wesley Snipes was hit hard and now this girl. Willie Nelson owned more money and he never went to jail. I guess the IRS Judges like country music.

GERALD OHARE

Willie Nelson owned more money and didn't serve time. Wesley Snipes and this girl got hit. Maybe the IRS judges only like country music. Just sayin....

GERALD OHARE

So when were her parents slaves? In the US slavery ended 150 years ago. Wow she does have issues but no way should she serve time when Willie Nelson owed more and never served one day in jail. Come on Judges give her a break.

Previous 15 Comments | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19