Lauryn Hill

3 Months In Prison

For Tax Evasion

5/6/2013 2:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

050613_laryn_hill_exit_launch
Lauryn Hill has been sentenced to spend 3 months in FEDERAL PRISON for tax evasion … even though she claims she paid off her nearly $1 million bill to Uncle Sam before sentencing.

A judge in Newark, New Jersey dished out the sentence moments ago ... and told Hill that after she completes her stint behind bars, she'll spend 3 more months on house arrest ... followed by 9 months of supervised release.

Before the hearing, Hill's attorney told the media the singer scraped together more than $970,000 to repay her debt to the government.

The 37-year-old former Fugee pled guilty last year to three counts of tax evasion for failing to file returns on $1.8 million she earned from 2005 to 2007. Lauryn's attorney asked for mercy because of her charity work and 6 kids ... but the judge wasn't buying it.

During the hearing, the judge ordered Hill to report to prison by July 8. It's unclear where Hill will serve her time.

Hill was present during the hearing, and delivered a statement to the judge in which she compared her situation to slavery.

"I was put into a system I didn't know the nature of. ... I'm a child of former slaves. I got into an economic paradigm and had that imposed on me," Hill said.

She continued, "I sold 50 million units ... now I'm up here paying a tax debt. If that's not likened to slavery, I don't know what is."

MCSquared

"I'm a child of former slaves."........According to her web-site her mother was an English teacher and her father is a computer programer....Damn, that makes me a child of slaves too!!!! Slave to the Man.

Zombie Whitney Houston

What a stupid b**** pulling the slavery card. Pay your f***ing taxes like the rest of us and shut the f*** up. Or hell. renounce your citizenship an don't bother coming back. It's not like anybody's dying to hear this whores crappy music anyway.

Lindsay Lohan Fan Forever

That seems a harsh sentence. Supervised release is awful.

susan

Lauryn Hill not only didn't pay her taxes but the MAIN issue is she didn't file tax returns as far back as 2005, that shows intent to defraud the government and thats why she was given this sentence. She will have been contacted by the IRS a multitude of times before it came to this, she will have been offered a payment plan numerous times but its obvious she ignored this problem hoping it would go away. This is a serious Federal case. To compare this to Lindsay Lohan is pure ignorance.

I don't know why Lauryn Hill is talking about slavery but I wish her and her children all the very best.

shawnschallenger

Take it like a man the man that you are/were. Strumming my pain with your fingers. Lick it

Greg

Damn, she looks really good for her parents to have been slaves. As far as selling 150 million albums, she should've saved some of the money and paid her damn taxes. Racist bitch.

DanzaSlap

All I can say is LOL haha this beetch need 30 years added talkin that sheet she a crack baby let her rot

jimmy d

pay the taxes.....kneegha please

breezybehan

cannot for the life of me understand how tax evasion gets you jail time, and Lindsay Lohan, the drunken menace of Hollywood gets to go to "rehab". Who should really be locked up.....the drunkard not the tax cheat!

Coco

We are all slaves to the corporate world. It's a shame no one in the music industry assisted her with the fines and was able to financially contribute to her continuation of freedom. We are all one people and owned by the 1%. If you don't know now you know.

Blkdykegoddess

The responses to this post are sickening. Where was your rascist indignation when Tom DeLay was convicted of tax evasion and money laundering?

Jaysson

Ohhhh, her parents were slaves? That's why she's a criminal tax cheat. It makes total sense...because her parents were slaves and all. What a POS. I'd have given her years in prison; not months.

EllieS

Really? Child of slaves?

tygasworld2010

Lindsay Lohan walks and she is put in jail ...white favouritism if she serves the full sentence

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

Lilo says Hi by the way. It's all about who takes the cash bribe these days that win you your freedom.