'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

terrie

Awww she was an awsome person,she will be sadlt missed,may she rip

Ken Stalcup

Rest in Peace Jeanne. I had never watched The Young and The Restless however your son Corbin spoke with me several times about you. You were loved! Our thoughts are with your familt today.

Nascar2020

She was a favorite of my mother's. Mom had watched the show since the beginning and had a chance to meet Mrs. Cooper in Colorado in the 80's. They were both the same age. My mother got me to watching it. She passed away last year but I still watch the soap opera.

barbara brown

I Loved that lady... my prayers are for her family, R.I.P.

Tess

I didnt know her personally, but she was a great actress.......... RIP !

Cristina

We lost 'The Duchess'.

johnnieblue

What a loss! Feels like we lost a friend. The world is a bit darker without her but has been made more beautiful because of her. Prayers, fond memories and sincere sympathies go out to all of her loved ones...

Patty

I am so sorry to hear about Ms. Jeanne Cooper's death. I enjoyed watching her portray Catherine on Y&R. RIP...you were one of the best. Prayers for the family.

Reg

RIP. Dear Lady!!

OICU4455

I don't watch Y&R any more but I remember what a fantastic actress she was.
Good by Jeanne Cooper, You WILL Be MISSED!

Joe

As i continue to watch the show, she will always be there, no one can ever take her place.Her presence will always be there on the show, she truly was a first class act.

sinatrarules

My mom will be sad. she loves Y&R. RIP.

joaan a

will miss my mentor --at 82 have carried you as my friend my adult life from the day you started on y and r and who will I ever respect this way again -godspeed and he will welcome you w/open arms

hattie

God bless her family,

vinn

Y&R and myself will truly miss you Jeanne Cooper, your irraplacable, My thought are with you and your family RIP