'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Kim M Suggs

RIP Jeanne Cooper we will miss you on the Young and Restless. Prayers for the family and friends.

kmr

Hopefully they don't replace her on Y&R cause noone will ever be Kay... RIP you'll be missed

rita coots

sad day for us you will be missed

Patty

Breaks my heart. No one can replace her and the show will never be the same without her. God bless her and may she rest in peace. Such a loss.

rHONDA

The Y & R will never be the same without you.

Sherrie Jackson-Buller

awe :( RIP

Bryan Stollings

;-(....she was my favorite......

Marie

Love Mrs. Cooper, me and Mom been watching the young and restless for 40 years, she a class act, she will be missed !! Marie

NHME

The show will not be the same. God bless and RIP. Condolences to the family and her tv family. One of the greats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alan

You were a classy lady and a fantastic actress. You will be missed. Condolences to family and friends.

Marie

Jennie Cooper, we love you, and I watch you for 40 years with my Mom, I am sad for this loss, and tell the young and restless crew I so sorry about Jeanne cooper loss, her passing, I just lost my mom also, you losing a great women and actress!! Marie Zawatski

smcmahon

i have enjoyed watching jeanne in young and the restless since it began i will really moss her she was a wonderful actress may she rest in peace and my condolences to her friends and family

charlie

Ms Cooper was on that show for so many years. I used to watch it with my Mom when I was younger. I was always happy to hear that she was still going strong. She was a great actress, and I've seen her interviewed...very nice, and fun person. My condolences to her family.

Boreen Bradby

The Cooper Family
Ever we are grateful and thankful for the wonderful memories your loved one left behind. God bless you all.

Linda

The most talented and dedicated actress on SOAPs. She was R&R till the last. RIP beautiful Lady and God Bless your family.