'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Roseann Engstli

Oh I'm so sorry to hear of this sad news, I loved watching her on the Young and Restless, I hope they don't replace her becausde she is unreplaceable!
Rest In Peace Jean Cooper!!

margie

this is like losing a dear friend, my thoughts and prayer for her children, losing your mother is a major hurt............I like many fans will greatly miss Mrs C

kim

So sad. So sad. Loved her. She kept the show going. We love you Katherine.

Jack

Didn't watch Y%R but a couple of times. I remember her from way before that when she would guess star on all of the tv westerns from the late 50's and early 60's. She, at one time, was on all of them, Cheyene, Bonanza, Big Valley, and more I can't remember

charlene

Rest in Peace Ms. Cooper you are really going to be missed by your family and your family on the Young & The Restless on the show. What is Jill going to do without you and who is she going to start her fights with now?

mspnd

Classy lady - fabulous run on The Young and the Restless. She will be missed. Prayers to her family.

Vegas mommy

RIP... You will be missed

Teri

Sad to hear of her passing, she was one classy lady! My condolences to her family, and thank you Corbin for keeping us posted on your beautiful Mother! RIP Jeanne!

Anne Redding

I am in shock and so sad. sympathy to her family

Karen

I am so,sad to hear of the loss,of Jeanne Cooper......
I have watched Y&R since day one.....she was the best character on the show...
She will be deeply missed...
RIP Jeanne...we love you.

Kathy

I am in SHOCK at this time.....!!!
I can't Believe that Jeanne Cooper....Mrs. Katherine Chancellor has passed away....The "Young & Restless" will TRUELY MISS HER. And, the show will
never be the same... She has been with the show since 1973. My Condolences goes out to her Son Corbin Bernsen.....Our Prays & Thoughts are with All of YOU today...!!! God Bless....!!!!

loriann

So sorry to hear this news. Have been watching her on Y&R since 1974. What a great actor. She also did parts on TV Shows I saw ie Big Valley, Perry Mason. I will miss seeing her. Condolences to her family. RIP

Judy

What a sad, sad day! She was one of the characters that made Young and the Restless what it is, and made you want to keep watching it.....May she rest in Peace and may God watch over all who love her and grant them peace in her passing! Love her!

Darlene Revis

Thank you Mrs.C for many years that you shared with us on "The Young and the Restless"..You will always be a fond memory...

Kathy

So sorry to hear this. I remember her from Y&R MANY years ago. RIP.