'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Greygoose125

So sad to hear of her passing, you just associate the character "Mrs. Chancellor" with the Young and the Restless.

Rest in Peace Mrs.Cooper.

Linda

We will all miss your talent, your gracious manners, and what you taught us about being true to ourselves. The Lord has already opened His arms and is holding you close this day. Prayers for your family, friends, and the family you have made through your work at Y&R.

Guest

You will be missed on Y&R!

Gregory

Corbin, Caren, Collin: Our hearts and thoughts are with you and your family during this most difficult time. Jeannie, and her incredible talent will be missed, tremendously!

RoCbaLLa

DAMN!

DEBBIE C.

SHE WAS A BELOVED ACTRESS, SHE WILL BE MISSED. THE SHOW WILL NOT BE THE SAME WITHOUT HER, I GREW UP WATCHING HER.

Missb

I will miss her, I am 41 and grew up watching her as a teen with my mom and its still the only soap I watched>

Jaz

Omg! No!. I have been a huge fan of Mrs. Cooper's for 25 years. My condolences go out to the Cooper/Bernsen family, along with the Y & R family

SANDY JACKSON

i will miss her on the show, she was a great attress. R.I.P JEANNIE.

Jaz

__________

Sherri Kent

My heart is broken. What a wonderful women. Mrs. C was Y&R, a great actress. I always said that if Mrs.C or Eric Braden left this show I would never watch again. So hard to believe she is gone. To Cobin, Collin and Caren I send my deepest sympathy. Be proud of the Mother you had.

LV

I've been watching Y&R since 1973....I so sad. My heart and prayers go out to her family. You will be missed Katherine Chancellor...but never forgotten. RIP Jeanne Cooper

Carolyn Gill Davis

Have followed this Soap so many years I can't remember. She will be truly missed. I can't imange the show without her. Family has my deepest Heart felt condolenences. Thank you for sharing her with me.

Debbie Stevens

I have spent my life with Jeanne Cooper and she will be truly missed. Love her and love Y&R.

Kathy

I remember her as far back as The Big Valley days...she played several different characters on that show...I loved her toughness but she could also be soft and feminine...RIP Ms Cooper. My sincere condolences to Corbin, Collin and Caren Bersen and family.