'Young & Restless' Star

Jeanne Cooper Dead At 84

5/8/2013 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0508-jeanne-cooper-gettyJeanne Cooper, a huge soap opera star who played Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless" for decades, has died. She was 84.

"L.A. Law" star Corbin Bernsen -- Cooper's real-life son -- tweeted this morning that she had passed away. She had fallen ill with an infection earlier this year after helping promote "Y&R's" 40th anniversary.

Cooper joined the show soon after its 1973 debut and had been nominated for 10 Daytime Emmys going back to '89 ... she finally won for lead actress in 2008.

Cooper was married to TV producer Harry Bernsen, Jr. for 23 years before divorcing ... all three of their children -- Corbin, Collin and Caren -- are actors.

Her character Katherine was groundbreaking in daytime ... she went through bouts of alcoholism, lost four husbands and a child ... and even had lesbian flings. But her most famous thread was a bitter feud with Jill Foster Abbott ... including this epic catfight:

0508_jeanne_cooper_remembering_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Bernadette

I will miss her, Y&R will not be the same without her, I agree. RIP

Joy

You will be saddy missed, I grow up watching you. You ARE the BEST Every.

gloria

She surely be missed

abc12

Have you not by now seen the lack of class or any morals from Mr. "Harvey". Of course, there is no comparison to him and the likes of "Jeanne Cooper". Even though I am sure they are close in age.....RIP, Classy Lady and let's disregard this internet "s***bags".

Valerie

When my best friend called me, she said that Katherine Chancellor died. I said , "oh no, they killed her off the show"? She said no, she died in real life. My heart skipped a beat, and I was extremely saddened. She will never be forgotten. RIP Ms. Cooper and prayers to the family.

Майкл Дж Тосли

Oh no, I'm so sorry Jeanne Cooper.. Oh no, it was shocking that you had died. You are so loved by many many viewers like me. You've been in my living room for over 30 years since I've been watching Y&R.. You will be sorely missed..

With kind regards,
Майкл Дж Тосли
Michael J. Towsley, Communications Administrator/KofC Advocacy Officer.

Майкл Дж Тосли

Oh no, I'm so sorry Jeanne Cooper.. Oh no, it was shocking that you had died. You are so loved by many many viewers like me. You've been in my living room for over 30 years since I've been watching Y&R.. And Y&R wouldn't be the same without her now.. So very sad.. You will be sorely missed..

With kind regards,
Майкл Дж Тосли
Michael J. Towsley, Communications Administrator/KofC Advocacy Officer

Stephane

RIP Mrs Cooper.The Young And The Restless will never be the same without you

Stephane

RIP Mrs Cooper the show will never be the same without you.

Marie

I am so sorry Kate is gone she was my favorite caracter in Y&R, my deepest symphathies to her three children I've been faithful in watching Y&R since the first time it aired. May she rest in peace I'm sure she had a wonderful life...

Mary Scurio

I have watched Y&R from day 1 and will miss Jeanne Cooper very much she was a the best part of the show with her feisty attitude many times.
Condolences to the family and to the Y&R cast.

Previous 15 Comments | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23