Angelina Jolie

I Had a Double Mastectomy

5/14/2013 5:58 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0513_angelina_jolie_01Angelina Jolie underwent a double mastectomy procedure -- the removal of both of her breasts -- in order to minimize her risk of breast cancer ... the actress revealed.

Jolie penned an op-ed published in the New York Times, in which she reveals, "Doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer."

She continues, "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive."

37-year-old Jolie says she completed the 3 months of medical procedures on April 27. She will continue to document her experience on the website for the Pink Lotus Breast Center, where she was (and still is being) treated.

The PLBC has treated stars like Sheryl Crow and Shannon Tweed.

"I am fortunate to have a partner, Brad Pitt, who is so loving and supportive," Jolie writes.

"For any woman reading this, I hope it helps you to know you have options."

0513_angelina_jolie_through_footer

robocop

This, I'm sure, was a very hard decision -- but a brave one nonetheless. This also could have been kept under wraps, but telling her story will save lives.

Wishing a long and healthy life for both of them.

NOT ELMO

i think Angelina Jolie is NOT only Beautiful but She is a Great Person too, She Adopted 3 Children from Different Races and She has Donated Millions and Millions Of Dollars To Charity and To Help The Poor...

tori

I'm still amazed that this amazing partner of hers still hasn't married her,come on Brad it's not that difficult!

Peter Burbank

I'm an RN, I work on a Medcal-Surgical Ward in Los Angeles. I have seen the results of untreated Breast Cancer, and it is devestating! Angelina made he right decision!

RunnerGirl

WOW - this hits close to home fo me - I come from a high risk family for breast cancer - my mom and both grandmothers (all survivers). I'm 25 and have already had 2 mammograms because of my risk. (usually women don't have to have one until age 40) Hopefully this will bring awareness to women about the importance of mammograms and breast check-ups. Bless Angie for talking so openly about it.

Gail

speedy recovery angelina

LADiva

Amazing how people dont talk crap about women getting their boobs done for the hell of it yet some find it wrong that AJ took a preventive measure because of history of cancer in her family...I think in cases where something runs in your family especially if you mother passed away from it , you should be entitled to make that decision without people judging you. Some peoplee have their facts mixed up

Johnny

Well good for you now why didn't you let them complete the job and take off your stupid, ugly head while you was in the there?

John

What a brave woman ! .................I think Brad has to also be commended, as he knows if he wants her with him forever, this was the only choice !
Love has a funny way of jumping up at you !

FullOfIt

Kind of like cutting your nose off to spite your face... Oh you mean i MIGHT get breast cancer ok well cut my boobs off solves that problem... Brad I might get pregnant if we have sex cut your d!ck off... my adopted kids may have a privileged life better give all my money away

gmalady

As a woman you have my complete support and prayers of peace for taking such an important step to protect yourself.... I am a 13 1//2 year BC survivor and there was absolutely NO signs of it in our family! You have been given a rare opportunity to give hope and help to so many women who face the same challenges as you have been facing. Take good care of yourself and the rest will follow, I wish you well.

Iris Myandowski

I thought this just showed an increased risk ? Am I wrong ? I understand Christina Applegate did the same, but that was because she was ACTUALLY diagnosed with it and lost her mother after multiple bouts (that at least makes some sense) also ? She also got a high prognoses of ovarian and yet she didn't remove those...this doesn't sound right to me ...

RMT

wow... I wish her well. She (and her fiancee) have many children (both adopted and natural born), and it's good she's being as proactive as she can to ensure she will be around as long as possible for them.

festive

With an abnormal BRCA gene, there is also an increased risk of colon, ovarian and thyroid cancers. Which will be removed next?

John

Too many times women think Men arent going to be interested in me if I have a mastectomy, and that is so wrong !
My last girlfriend went through chemo and radiation and she was so worried about what I would think about the surgical scar !
I told her, a scar is nothing, whats important is you are well and here ! Most of us guys love the woman
we are with, the changes mean zero !