Angelina Jolie

I Had a Double Mastectomy

5/14/2013 5:58 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0513_angelina_jolie_01Angelina Jolie underwent a double mastectomy procedure -- the removal of both of her breasts -- in order to minimize her risk of breast cancer ... the actress revealed.

Jolie penned an op-ed published in the New York Times, in which she reveals, "Doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer."

She continues, "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive."

37-year-old Jolie says she completed the 3 months of medical procedures on April 27. She will continue to document her experience on the website for the Pink Lotus Breast Center, where she was (and still is being) treated.

The PLBC has treated stars like Sheryl Crow and Shannon Tweed.

"I am fortunate to have a partner, Brad Pitt, who is so loving and supportive," Jolie writes.

"For any woman reading this, I hope it helps you to know you have options."

0513_angelina_jolie_through_footer

Dcapettini

Has Brad had his testicles and prostate removed as a precaution against testicular and prostate cancer? BTW there is something wrong with the 87% number. Ask any oncologist.

festive

As someone who battled BC for years and have been in a chemical remission for the last 7 (still in treatment) I must admit, if I had known that this was in store for me when I was 40, I would have done the same thing. I was diagnosed at age 43 with 4 school aged children. I was one of the fortunate ones who survived but at tremendous cost to the mental health of my family, the mounting medical bills and the subsequent disability from treatment that left me on oxygen because of extensive pulmonary damage from radiation.

flora68

Good for her. That was a very mature, courageous thing to do. She didn't need to nurse anymore babies anyway. Brava!

Seriously?

You are an amazing woman! Beauty beyond belief!

Ray

Tough decision

ImUrDad

RIP her perfect natural breasts....

SL

Angelina obviously does not know that cancer is a fungus and can be easily treated with baking soda.

Realityjunkie

All that money and intelligence and she undergoes a double masectomy. That was a move motivated by fear. Had she done research, she would have been in much better shape.

Wolfman

I was worried about her as she was so skinny and looked sick a few months ago

Sally

Having had a mastectomy myself because I had breast cancer I have been in that similar situation. When you realise that there is even just a CHANCE that you may develop this cruel disease then I fully understand her reasons for being Pro-Active. Wait until it IS detected and it may have already spread elsewhere by then. She has a family to think of just as I have and they want you around for as long as is possible. Harsh operation and recovery but at least you are fighting to survive. My thoughts are with every woman who has or has had this illness.

nan

Very brave of her to come out and tell her personal business, in hopes of making others aware..
My best wishes to her and her family

Gayle

I admire her for being pro-active when the odds were not in her favor. Wishing her a lifetime of good health. Always thought of her a woman before her time - one who gives so much of herself to help others. Happy she is now helping herself and her children with this important step to ensure a long healthy life together.

Horndog

Breaking news? Really TMZ (tm)? Really? This was being reported for at least 8 hours before your crack staff of factually-challenged interns got around to posting it. Did you have to get Kris Jenner's (tm) permission first?

Amyny1

I am a breast cancer survivor in fact I had a partial lumpectomy . I do not carry the bracca gene so its safe to say it is not inherited thank God for that . I did however ask my surgeon to remove my breasts . He said there is just no reason for that at all ! Yes he was adamant . Totally unnecessary ! Angelina you do not even have breast cancer ! Why there for would you do something like this ? It is such an extreme action . I was fully prepared to remove my breasts , but you Angelina are always some kind of Martyr , attention seeker and extremest in your rational with your body ! Just another cry for help and attention . I no women who have undergone removal because they had to your'e going by percentiles .Always for a cause this time you had to make one up . I am do for a breast exam this week in fact ! Every 3 months I live with fear true fear . You create your very own drama . Women with breast CANCER OWN IT !!!!!!! And believe you me it is a painful life altering experience .Why would you cut off two healthy body parts ? You are such a odd person and I can't even say eccentric .Just a stupid self seeking attention hog ! However I am sure you will use the media for self gain and attention !

merrikins

Strong woman...but all woman do not have these options...insurance companies do not pay for woman to have breast removed on a percentage basis...so unless you have the money and the facility that will do this..the "average" or elderly (medicare) are out of luck.