Angelina Jolie

I Had a Double Mastectomy

5/14/2013 5:58 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0513_angelina_jolie_01Angelina Jolie underwent a double mastectomy procedure -- the removal of both of her breasts -- in order to minimize her risk of breast cancer ... the actress revealed.

Jolie penned an op-ed published in the New York Times, in which she reveals, "Doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer."

She continues, "Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive."

37-year-old Jolie says she completed the 3 months of medical procedures on April 27. She will continue to document her experience on the website for the Pink Lotus Breast Center, where she was (and still is being) treated.

The PLBC has treated stars like Sheryl Crow and Shannon Tweed.

"I am fortunate to have a partner, Brad Pitt, who is so loving and supportive," Jolie writes.

"For any woman reading this, I hope it helps you to know you have options."

0513_angelina_jolie_through_footer

Bribo304

must be nice to have money and be able to afford all the testing and mastectomy because the average working middle class lady cannot afford to even have the testing done and insurance will not cover it.

Kimmer

You are a very strong woman. I am so proud of you for coming forward with this. When I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer I also was very proactive and kept everything very open about what was going on. I never had to do Chemo or have a mastectomy just radiation but I truly do believe your peace of mind is a major portion of the battle with cancer. If you mentally give up and give in your body gives up and gives in. Angelina I am so proud of you and your family. Stay strong.

Rio West

Cutting out body parts is foolish, It's all a scare tactic. Please....I respected her before..,..and now. It's not
being proactive. It's unnecessary as were the hysterectomy's in my mothers time. Bad decision to start cutting out parts.

Rio West

Proactive my ass! It's instilled fear. Uneccessary operation, just as the hysterectomy was uneccessary in it's day!

Cleopatra561

Yes; even more beautiful now. I, too, have been living with this threat now for many years, and even
have had stage II thyroid cancer. Thank you, Ms. Jolie, for giving me the courage to just now call my
gynecologist, who is a breast cancer, double mastectomy, suvivor, and who has been after me
for several years, to do the same thing. Prayers and love to you, and bless you for assuring you will be there for your children in the future.....

Kimberly

I've always admired Angelina Jolie and now even more so. What an amazing and brave woman! She remains as beautiful as ever.

Carl

At least we'll always have Gia.

Bazoo

Before you are critical of her decision or the decision of other women who have this procedure get informed. I am sure my sister who died at age 56 from Ovarian cancer with the same gene would be alive today had she made this same courageous decision. Anyone who is being critical is just ignorant of the facts.

Clifford Gabrellas

Even more beautiful without her breasts, if that's possible!

oujoou

AND so went the sex life of 3 time people magazine's sexiest man alive. But that's what happens when brother and sister marry. AND one or the other pretends to be mother Theresa. Hope it was worth it. :( Yes .. but they still have children - all the colors of the rainbow. :)

oujoou

AND so went the sex life of 3 time people magazine's sexiest man alive. That's what happens when brother and sister marry. AND one of them preTENDS to be mother Theresa. Hope it was worth it. :( But they still have children - all the colors of the rainbow. :)

Haywood Jablome

Bet the reason for it was 100% vanity, and she's now using it for publicity. She's 37, couldn't stand that her sweater puppets were starting to sag, and got a new set of bolt ons - end of story, except for the Hollywood sycophantic angle.

Jennifer

As someone dealing with cancer right now and watching every woman on both sides of my family having cancer, you nut jobs with the "cure" for my "fungus" - hope you never have to deal with reality.
I give you all my love and prayers Angie.

macko

Anyone who has watched their mother, sister or aunt go through cancer diagnosis, then hope that it has been successfully removed and then it reoccurs and ultimately ends their life, will appreciate what Angelina Joli has talked about and done. That is the least vain thing she has done. and she still has the possibility of ovarian cancer to face(50% chance). Cancer is no respecter of person, age, race or gender.
When you are sitting there in your doctors office and get the result of that damn biopsy, everything falls away. All you hear is 'you're going to die' at that moment. it is devastating.

Della

Wishing Angie and family oy prayers..and good wishes...