Gene Wilder

TRASHES 'Wonka' Movie Remake

'I Think It's an Insult'

6/14/2013 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0614_willy_wonka_01
Don't expect Gene Wilder and Tim Burton to share a candy bar together any time soon ... because Wilder says he flat out HATES the director's remake of his classic film, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

Wilder made a rare appearance Thursday night in NYC and spoke with Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne. According to The Wrap, Wilder called the 2005 movie "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" starring Johnny Depp "an insult" to the original.

Wilder said he had no beef with Depp (calling him "a good actor") but said of Burton, "I don't care for that director. He's a talented man, but I don't care for him doing stuff like he did."

Oompa Loompa doo-pa-dee do ...
It's gotta suck when Willy Wonka rips you ...

boobymanz

He's absolutely correct. That Tim Burton movie was a piece of crap. It was weird as hell and was kinda boring.

Xianne

Tim burton , you didn't even try.

forreal

ITA with Gene Wilder. Willy Wonka is a classic and should have NEVER been screwed around with by Burton (highly overrated) or any other director.

Jesse

Burton hasn't been good since Edward scissor hands. Please stop making movies. Also if you're going to keep making movies, try a new a cast. No more wifey or depp. Step outside your comfort zone

jason

loved the original as a kid but hate it as a adult. unwatchable. And I love wilder as a actor. All of his stull with mel Brooks is remarkable. But there is something I have grown to hate about the original willy wonka. Its creepy and dirty looking lol. A river of milk chocolate that looks like a Mexican sewage plant. lol no thanks. Disgusting and stupid. Still love wilder though. Depp and Burton make really silly stupid crap and try to pass it off as interesting. God I have really grown to hate most of what Hollywood produces.

Michael

Gene is the original and ONLY Mr. Wonka. I have re-watched the original when I was a kid and 15 years ago when my daughter was 4-5. Here is a quote that starts the song: Willy Wonka: [singing] If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it; want to change the world... there's nothing to it......CLASSIC...LOVE GENE WILDER!!! NOW and THEN!!

MissDestruction

OLD news....he said this when Tim Burton decided to do it, he said this during production, and he's said it several times since then.

Val Maylone

Transforming light into darkness is not a talent, it's a perversion. I know I will get a lot of flak for that comment, but I grew up in the sixties, where all of us went to some pretty far extremes to transform darkness into light. Seeing Superman and Batman darkened also offends my sensibilities. "Oh for the good old days", spoken like a true fud curmudgeon.

rosemarie lopez

I 100% agree will Gene Wilder!!

Amber S

People are still whining about that movie? The fact is Charlie was more true to the book than the original version was.

Ali

Yep. Couldn't stand the remake.

mr.howell

The original Wonka with Gene is the best I agree,but Burton's Wonka film isn't that bad compared to his recent films in the last few years like the awful 'Alice In Wonderland' and 'Dark Shadows!'.. these 2 films really suck!..bad scripts on both these flops!..

Swedeslvr

Like Johnny depp but didn't watch the movie. Looked WEIRD. However......he's a bit late on his comment. The movies been out Dow a couple years!!!!!

lisa

Totally Agree! He used CGI to create the oompas.. that's unforgivable! as for Depp.. can you say SELLOUT OF ALL TIME!

mr.howell

I agree with other comments here that Burton needs to make a movie without Depp..I'm sick of the Depp/Burton films!..really sick of them!..'Sweeney Todd' was just Okay!.