LeVar Burton

I've Got a Problem

With New 'Star Trek' Flick

6/14/2013 7:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

061413_levar_burton_launch
LeVar Burton says he's deeply conflicted about the new "Star Trek" movie ... telling TMZ there's something missing from the flick ... something extremely important.

Burton -- who famously starred in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" from 1987 to 1994 -- says he's already seen J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek Into Darkness" TWO TIMES ... but that doesn't mean he approves.

"At the end of the movie, I really care about what happens to the characters ... but I'm pretty much missing Gene Roddenberry in J.J.'s interpretation ... and at the end of the day, that's just not OK for me."

For all you non-Trekkies out there ... Gene created "Star Trek" back in the '60s and was heavily involved in the storytelling until his death in 1991.

So ... do you agree with LeVar?

Hanapana

I completely agree. JJ turned this most recent Star Trek into a Michael Bay movie. The Star Trek legacy is about great storytelling first, everything else second. I think JJ rushed this movie and didn't give it justice simply so he could start on the Star Wars film. I really hope JJ allows someone else to take over on ST3. Someone who actually cares about the legacy.

Toilethead

He's the man. I have to respect his opinion.

Jinx819

I disagree, JJ is making star trek more interesting for the younger generation. Hes just mad cuz he didnt get a cameo. Lol.

braintrain

He better not **** up star wars or I will be pissed. Disney has the budget so there should be no excuse. get the right writers and do a good job!

Kelly

What is raving on about? The characters are "Gene Roddenberry". Does Lavar expect a DNA sample to be woven into the pixels of all new Star Trek movies? Gene Rodenberry already had his ashes shot into space. Gimme a break.

seanc

I'm a black man....EVOLVE ALREADY ....Leave race out the equation.

M G

Missing science and missing a lesson about human greatness...that is what Star trek is about...

FREEWILLY

Agree with Levar. I actually couldn't care less about Star Trek but J.J. Abrams is an awful producer, director, whatever, so no doubt it is awful. I base my reasoning on the TV show LOST. It was an epic scam. Abrams created a story line that he had no ending for, and people loved the show because they thought all of this interesting stuff would be explained.

It takes ZERO talent to create an interesting plot that has no ending. Can't believe Hollywood has not run his ass out of town. Obviously it is because LOST made money. But that was only because everyone believed the show would have a satisfying ending. Which it did not. It was a scam of the highest order.

Mike

I think that the movie did hold true to Gene's ideals to some extent. He fought to not have star trek be just a shoot em up space cowboy show/movie . I think by showing how the movie pushed the idea that they were about exploration not war. I think the movie showed the same fight Gene had to make star trek about exploration and doing the right thing even while others push for fighting and war.

RoadRig

he just mad because mr. la forge didn't get asked to do a cameo....

Swins

With Gene there was always a lesson, always a hope and something to grow on...Now the new Star Trek is really just action and SFX.

Even what the new Spock does diminishes his character. The old Spock solved his own problems and relied on his own crew. The new Spock couldn't solve a problem without cheating.

CaliWriter

I also agree with LaVar. I wrote one epi of ST:TNG and it was always about the story when Gene was alive. Now it's more about making money from the biggest SciFi franchises out there and about how much of the film can be shot on a green screen.

Denver

The movie took too many elements, and dialogue, from past movies. The movie was good, but the Khan character could have been more developed and the blood had dozens of other places (pods) it could have come from. Major problem: JJ is now at the Star WARS helm. Which means it could be 6 to 8 years until the next ST movie, or someone else will have to direct.

Louis

I loved the film , reminded me of all the original Star Treks bit with better effects. Im sure Gene would have approved. I loved every second of it and the 3D was Awesome. I grew up watching the original Star Trek, personally never liked the next generation.

David

Who cares what you think!!! You are a no one important. You got a role in Star Trek because they needed a black person in the movie. You were not the star, nor will you ever be a star in any role.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments