'Panic! at the Disco' Drummer

I Checked Into Rehab

For 'Serious' Pill Addiction

7/31/2013 10:53 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0731_Spencer-Smith_getty
One of the founding members of the rock band "Panic! at the Disco" says he just completed a stint in rehab after developing a serious addiction to prescription pills.

Drummer Spencer Smith just revealed the news in an emotional blog post ... saying he first got involved with drugs and alcohol when he was 19, just 6 years ago, but it quickly consumed his life.

The drummer says things really began to spiral out of control after a traumatic experience involving a loved one's health a few years later -- and he began to self medicate with a "dangerous amount" of Vicodin and Xanax.

The 25-year old says things got so bad, he stashed backup pills in every location imaginable ... and couldn't go more than 8 hours without going through withdrawals.

Smith says he checked himself into a treatment center last Fall -- cleaned himself up -- and is now focused on staying healthy and substance free.

Smith attributes his success to the support of his family and friends ... and plans to hit the road later this month again with the band in support of their new record.

The rocker adds, "My goal in releasing this is to try and relate to anyone who has experienced addiction personally or with a loved one, and to be honest with everyone else."

He adds, "You can recover!! So, please seek help if you’re suffering personally, and urge anyone you know to get help if they are suffering. It gets better one day at a time."

mark

man do I ever know how that goes! oxy was my pill of choice though. I was depressed and down. then i'd snort a line of that and the day became absolutely glorious. GLORIOUS!! never has anything made me so incredibly content with the myself and the world. then, a day comes where you don't want to go without it and you start planning your day around it. i'd save my last pills for the nighttime, snort some and enjoy watching law & order & the simpsons & arrested development etc.
then comes the day when you simply cannot get out of bed without it because you're so intensely sick! vomiting from your mouth and your a$$ at the same time, shaking from the horrid anxiety over not having money to afford any...tears....god almighty that was horrid!!

now I drink methadone each morning. one addiction transplanted for another. and so it goes...

Lisa Marie

Glad to see a musician do it the right way. As a fan, I'm so glad to see he's doing alright. Spencer, can't wait to see you for your headlining tour and tour with Fall Out Boy!

And TMZ, "Panic! At The Disco" is how you actually spell it. :-)

Lindsay Lohan's Drug Dealer

His band still sucks.

_][ Character_Assassin ][_

He'll be back on it. You can count on that. Unless, of course, that is... if he decides to sever all ties to his supplier.

Ballsdeep Salamjampour

It's not 2005 so I don't care.

popo

with a face like that I would be an addict too

thisismyusername

Well, at least he helped himself instead of having to be pushed into it involuntarily or just flat out dying. That's a more graceful wind than what we're seeing lately.

(◉_◉) Brush Your Teeth (◉_◉)

Ahhhh,

Vicodin and Xanax,my favorite evening c o c k-tail

Clyde T.M. Nestra

Good for him. And the fact he didn't Twitter to the world when he went in tells me he had some good judgment even at a bad time. Stay the course, man.

kimkardashisatrainwreck

Awesome big guy! Keep up the good work!

Felicia

I have been on Percocet for 10 months. I suffer from TMJ that literally breaks my teeth and severe bladder spasms. Last time I tried stopping to take them I literally stayed wide awake for 3 straight days (the withdraw). Even though im in severe pain and need them... I wish they were just a tad harder to get. My doctor has no problem giving them to me all the time. Which makes it difficult to try and ween myself off of them. Hoping my doctors finally get rid of this pain so I can stop taking pain meds. Major props to this guy bc i know its very hard!

gayle1976

Who??? Must be a slow news day!!!

Toilethead

Never heard of them.

NOT ELMO

'Panic! at the Disco' Drummer
I Checked Into Rehab
For 'Serious' Pill Addiction...................i am sooo proud of you !!!!!!!!!!

jck747

Beautiful statement. It seems sometimes that addiction and substance abuse are the rule, not the exception. It's basically an epidemic that affects, if not us, then a friend or a family member. The stigma needs to be removed through openness like this so that our friends and loved ones will know they're not alone and can get treatment without feeling like a freak or an outcast.