Passive Aggressive Oprah

Gives BS Apology for

Switzerland Racist Flap

8/13/2013 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0813_oprah_tmzOprah Winfrey says she's kinda sorta "sorry" for the fallout that ensued after she told the media about a "racist" encounter at a purse store in Switzerland ... saying, "I'm really sorry that it got blown up."

Yeah, right.

Oprah addressed the media at the premiere of "The Butler" in L.A. last night -- backpedaling after the shop in question started to refute O's allegations of racism during an incident last month.

The shop owner says the whole thing was a "misunderstanding" and had "nothing to do with racism."

Last night, Oprah said ... "I think that incident in Switzerland was just an incident in Switzerland. I'm really sorry that it got blown up. I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I'm sorry that I said it was Switzerland."

Problem is ... O's full of it. What did she think was going to happen when she went on national TV and cried racism? The media was just going to ignore that??

Oprah once ragged on hamburgers and single-handedly CRIPPLED the beef industry. She knew damn well how the media was going to handle the Switzerland situation ... which is why she went to the media in the first place. Her mission was to destroy the shop.

There are some people who are saying Oprah's Swiss encounter wasn't really about race -- Oprah was just mad she wasn't treated like Her Royal O-ness because the shop employee didn't recognize her ... but now, after the employee told the media she's being unfairly attacked, O's feeling a little guilty.

But pretending not to know about the impact of her race allegations?? That's like Obama pretending not to know what's gonna happen if he pushes that big red button in the White House.

C'mon O ... you're smarter than that. And so are we.

0809_oprah_winfrey_through_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

samael

The Big O seems to want to believe that everyone loves her...I am not one of those people. she can buy as many stations as she wants...she is still slimy and still never ever takes responsibility for her inaction.

The Big O needs to STFU

chicagoannie

? I don't remember what the Oprah/beef issue was about. Was ir "pink slime?" More info, TMZ~

Loretta Love

Poor Oprah ~

JFO

This woman has ZERO credibility anymore ....

paul a.

The timing is also suspicious. This happened in mid July but she decides to come out with it now just as her movie is being premiered.
Oprah is a marketing genius.
I dont believe the timing was a coincidence.
BTW, it is plausible the clerk did not recognize Oprah, she is not that well-known in Switzerland, and without makeup I dare say most people over here wouldn't know who she is. In any case, most high end stores will profile you before showing their most expensive items.

eric

You racist *******s can kiss Oprah's rich fat ASS! especially Samuel

David

Damn it! Can't we get through at least ONE week w/o someone crying racism???

La-La

This is a perfect example of why I don't like her. She is just completely full of herself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris

I am an old white guy from the south, and I'm tired of everybody crying racism. But I'm on O's side. Nobody knows what I've got in my wallet and don't judge me on the color of my skin or what I'm wearing. Sam Walton (Wal-Mart) use to wear blue jeans and drive an old chevy truck. The Bible tells us to be careful you might entertain angels unaware.

Joi

I don't think the situation had anything to do with the clerk not giving Oprah the royal treatment and it did have something to do with race. Had Oprah been White, she would have been shown the bag without incident. The clerk's version of the story makes no sense. Why would you "suggest" that Oprah look at another version of the bag that was similar to the one you owned and that was far cheaper if you didn't come to your own conclusion she couldn't afford the bag?

Did Oprah know that the story would end up being so big? More than likely. In her defense, she did have the decency not to mention the name of the store.

In hindsight, Oprah probably felt bad about doing what she did because of the magnitude of problems she may have caused the clerk and the store. However, I don't think the clerk -- or Switzerland -- deserves any more of an apology than Oprah offered.

The next time the clerk sees a Black person shopping in her store, maybe she won't jump to conclusions that they can't afford to be there.

jef

As they say ,you can take the ....out of the ..., but you can't take the .... out of the.....

bjay

Between her totally wrong Trayvon Martin remarks, her "millions of blacks were lynched" and now this, within a few weeks she has lost all credibility with thousands of viewers. What a moron.

YungOne

Wow. Someone needs to hug this morning. What's with all this aggression?

"Her mission was to destroy the shop."

How? She didn't even mention it by name? nor the actual store clerk.

The media did the research, hunted the shop down and the store clerk...and now they blame her because they did all the ground work?

"Oprah was just mad she wasn't treated like Her Royal O-ness"

Wow? Really?

royalredus

You mean "the red, shiny CANDY-LIKE button"??

Glynn

Op was upset because the store clerk didn't recognize her. Get over yourself Op. Not everyone loves you.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments