Passive Aggressive Oprah

Gives BS Apology for

Switzerland Racist Flap

8/13/2013 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0813_oprah_tmzOprah Winfrey says she's kinda sorta "sorry" for the fallout that ensued after she told the media about a "racist" encounter at a purse store in Switzerland ... saying, "I'm really sorry that it got blown up."

Yeah, right.

Oprah addressed the media at the premiere of "The Butler" in L.A. last night -- backpedaling after the shop in question started to refute O's allegations of racism during an incident last month.

The shop owner says the whole thing was a "misunderstanding" and had "nothing to do with racism."

Last night, Oprah said ... "I think that incident in Switzerland was just an incident in Switzerland. I'm really sorry that it got blown up. I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I'm sorry that I said it was Switzerland."

Problem is ... O's full of it. What did she think was going to happen when she went on national TV and cried racism? The media was just going to ignore that??

Oprah once ragged on hamburgers and single-handedly CRIPPLED the beef industry. She knew damn well how the media was going to handle the Switzerland situation ... which is why she went to the media in the first place. Her mission was to destroy the shop.

There are some people who are saying Oprah's Swiss encounter wasn't really about race -- Oprah was just mad she wasn't treated like Her Royal O-ness because the shop employee didn't recognize her ... but now, after the employee told the media she's being unfairly attacked, O's feeling a little guilty.

But pretending not to know about the impact of her race allegations?? That's like Obama pretending not to know what's gonna happen if he pushes that big red button in the White House.

C'mon O ... you're smarter than that. And so are we.

0809_oprah_winfrey_through_footer

VSS

personally, I think its the best thing that could have happened to her. Not that i condone racism, but a woman who is buying a $38,000 purse has lost touch with reality and what the rest of the world faces daily. People fall all over her. This was a unique incident in her current life, and perhaps humbled her and shamed her for considering such a purchase. Its one thing to endulge when the money being spent pays for a lot of people's jobs. then one might justify extravagance as playing it forward. But the cost of making a purse cannot justify what to me is a gross sick indulgence and I really respected her before this. It has brought my view of her into perspective. perhaps this incident did the same for her. Shame on YOU Oprah. In a world where so many suffer, this sort of indulgence is excessive to the extreme. Shame on YOU.

VSS

VSS

Ima Thinkin

Welcome to the real world Oprah. I'm not black, but I imagine that I would have had the same reaction from the clerk (and maybe have initially been a little insulted too, like Oprah). But, it's an expensive bag! That clerk was being responsible, and protecting her owner's investment...she was doing her job. No reason to use the race card. Get over it already!

AdamPreston

What a whinger

Stacy

I only watched a handful of her shows - One where she claimed she was fat because of her thyroid (which pissed me off because I have thyroid issues and am NOT obese) and one where she had Vera Wang promoting her line of clothes at Kohls (where she distanced herself from the audience by stating that she had VW design MANY dresses for her personally). I also saw some comment about her telling everyone she had a closet filled with Christian Louboutin shoes. Brag brag brag and the audience ate it all up....made me want to vomit. I am glad she's off ABC. I don;t have her network on my guide.

Bryan

I'm amazed that big rich Oprah would drag some shop clerk into this stupid racism narrative and drama!! Oprah lied about what went down a few years ago at Hermes as well. A bitch comes in many colors!!!

dan

It is funny that this is just like one episode of the show A Different World. The episode is called
"Pride and Prejudice" read about it really sounds the same. Ok to get yelled at how come no matter what it is O has done it, thought of it, are has had it happened to her.

Janet

For all the bleeding hearts/a.k.a. racists who claim that blacks are the only ones who are profiled, discriminated, pre-judged, etc. check this out:http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/08/15/nyc-hotel-kicks-out-duck-dynasty-star-after-confusing-him-for-homeless-man/

Marianne

I'm an old Zürich woman, who is happily living in our beautiful City. I love the people here and I love my good old Zürich. Rassism?
When I was much younger I wanted to buy a dress in one of the really nice shops near Bahnhofstrasse in Zürich. I just barely could afford it. The clerc looked me over and said: 'I think you are better off in a less expensiv store' and walked away. I was so angry, I could have screamed. But all I said was: 'You are a very unpolite and conceited clerk. And you should not be allowed to work in such a lovely store in Zürich.

LA BABY!!!

Who wrote this story? I always thought TMZ took a neutral approach, but I guess not. No matter what any of you say, it WAS a race thing. Most of you on here are closeted racists anyway. You all hate Oprah because she's a black woman with more money than any of you will ever see. I'm not an Oprah worshiper, but I can certainly recognize success and give credit where it's due. You guys are some haters, and I don't care how many of you hit the hate button on me.

Alex

Hater's

cathylbene

Well, I say miss o shuld buy the lady a car.notice thatsa small o.this behavoir is what spreads racism.oprah needs to go away and stop using media in this manner.society has more to worry about than her drama over a purse.go away.

cathylbene

Maybe the o should buy the poor clerk a new car. The only racists seem to be the ones who keep bringing it up. And isnt the timing spot on for the butler.

OprahHatesWhitePeople

Oprah is a lying phony who will do anything to make a buck. She fabricated her past saying she was poor, abused and is dating Steadman. Read the book "Ruthless" where her former employees expose this tyrannical, spoiled, racist was a nightmare to work for. Oprah is the new Sharpton playing the race card for her own publicity as she has been in decline since she left her talk show, as her "OWN" is tanking. Oprah is a fraud!

Previous 15 Comments | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments