Passive Aggressive Oprah

Gives BS Apology for

Switzerland Racist Flap

8/13/2013 10:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0813_oprah_tmzOprah Winfrey says she's kinda sorta "sorry" for the fallout that ensued after she told the media about a "racist" encounter at a purse store in Switzerland ... saying, "I'm really sorry that it got blown up."

Yeah, right.

Oprah addressed the media at the premiere of "The Butler" in L.A. last night -- backpedaling after the shop in question started to refute O's allegations of racism during an incident last month.

The shop owner says the whole thing was a "misunderstanding" and had "nothing to do with racism."

Last night, Oprah said ... "I think that incident in Switzerland was just an incident in Switzerland. I'm really sorry that it got blown up. I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I'm sorry that I said it was Switzerland."

Problem is ... O's full of it. What did she think was going to happen when she went on national TV and cried racism? The media was just going to ignore that??

Oprah once ragged on hamburgers and single-handedly CRIPPLED the beef industry. She knew damn well how the media was going to handle the Switzerland situation ... which is why she went to the media in the first place. Her mission was to destroy the shop.

There are some people who are saying Oprah's Swiss encounter wasn't really about race -- Oprah was just mad she wasn't treated like Her Royal O-ness because the shop employee didn't recognize her ... but now, after the employee told the media she's being unfairly attacked, O's feeling a little guilty.

But pretending not to know about the impact of her race allegations?? That's like Obama pretending not to know what's gonna happen if he pushes that big red button in the White House.

C'mon O ... you're smarter than that. And so are we.

0809_oprah_winfrey_through_footer

Eliot

The Switzerland story was a lie; Oprah did this before in 2005. Hermes in Paris was the accused then, and Oprah was hawking her racism movie "Crash." http://patdollard.com/2013/08/flashback-2005-oprah-claims-racism-after-closed-paris-store-refuses-to-serve-her-store-says-shes-a-liar/

Lynn

I believe Oprah 100%. What reason would this billionaire have to lie. The shop owner and clerk however have many reasons to I just don't know why tmz and so many others are so envious

agentxyz

That poor clerk. Oprah goes out of her way to cost the woman her job and ruin her life. In her non-apology she reiterates her accusation of racism. She also tried to hurt the business of a whole chain of stores and paint the country of Switzerland as racist over an ambiguous and probably unintentional slight. All the while she clearly loves the chance brag about how she has a black American Express card and can afford to plunk down $38,000 for a stupid purse. She plays it off like she's just providing a teaching moment to enlighten us all on racism. Are we supposed to feel sorry for how she's oppressed? What a jerk.

agentxyz

oink

Oprah is a Bully, she has caused that poor shop worker & harm, harassment. ecttt,

what if that shop clerk commited suicide?

Oprah should be in deep ****. screaming Racism over not getting to hold a purse ?
Everyone should stop kissing O's ass..
that store has had bad publicity for NO reason. because a BIG HEADED OPRAH,, i'd sue her for her Billions.

John...

Oprah has obviously become more full of her pretentious self than her delusional fans. It's way past time to put the irrelevancy brand on her big fat ass.

Ray

Oh nooooo! They didn't recignize her and she was treated rudely like any American tourist. The horror!

susannah

I think a big point is being missed here.. How could anyone with a soul want to spend nearly 40 THOUSAND dollars on a handbag when that kind of money could educate a poor black child from the ghetto? Or why not put that money toward helping young black males coming out of the prison system so they don't go back? That would be more constructive than whining about a shopgirl not thinking you could afford a 40g handbag. What kind of moron would spend that much on a handbag anyway?

VSS

personally, I think its the best thing that could have happened to her. Not that i condone racism, but a woman who is buying a $38,000 purse has lost touch with reality and what the rest of the world faces daily. People fall all over her. This was a unique incident in her current life, and perhaps humbled her and shamed her for considering such a purchase. Its one thing to endulge when the money being spent pays for a lot of people's jobs. then one might justify extravagance as playing it forward. But the cost of making a purse cannot justify what to me is a gross sick indulgence and I really respected her before this. It has brought my view of her into perspective. perhaps this incident did the same for her. Shame on YOU Oprah. In a world where so many suffer, this sort of indulgence is excessive to the extreme. Shame on YOU.

VSS

VSS

Ima Thinkin

Welcome to the real world Oprah. I'm not black, but I imagine that I would have had the same reaction from the clerk (and maybe have initially been a little insulted too, like Oprah). But, it's an expensive bag! That clerk was being responsible, and protecting her owner's investment...she was doing her job. No reason to use the race card. Get over it already!

AdamPreston

What a whinger

Stacy

I only watched a handful of her shows - One where she claimed she was fat because of her thyroid (which pissed me off because I have thyroid issues and am NOT obese) and one where she had Vera Wang promoting her line of clothes at Kohls (where she distanced herself from the audience by stating that she had VW design MANY dresses for her personally). I also saw some comment about her telling everyone she had a closet filled with Christian Louboutin shoes. Brag brag brag and the audience ate it all up....made me want to vomit. I am glad she's off ABC. I don;t have her network on my guide.

Bryan

I'm amazed that big rich Oprah would drag some shop clerk into this stupid racism narrative and drama!! Oprah lied about what went down a few years ago at Hermes as well. A bitch comes in many colors!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments