« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mike Tyson

I'm a Vicious Alcoholic ...

On the Verge of Dying

8/24/2013 12:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Mike Tyson
has not been living the sober life ... not by a longshot ... in fact he says his alcohol addiction is so dire he's on the "verge of dying."

Tyson dropped the bombshell at a press conference Friday in New York ... telling reporters he's been lying to everyone for years about staying sober.

He confessed, "I wanna change my life, I wanna live a different life now. I wanna live my sober life. I don't wanna die. I'm on the verge of dying, because I'm a vicious alcoholic."

Tyson -- who has been in and out of rehab over 3 times -- said he's been drug and alcohol free for 6 days now and never wants to drink again.

The 47-year-old former champ was in New York to promote his upcoming fight card with Iron Mike Productions.

A rep for Mike tells TMZ ... "Unfortunately Mike has made some mistakes recently but fortunately he now recognizes them and is willing to fight his way back to the road of recovery."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Khali

Praying for Mike

Crabby

Make no mistake he will die from his chronic alcoholism and it will be very very painful.End stage organ failure and bleeding out from a damaged liver is not pleasant. But when experts intervene many alcoholics just slip further into their defiant denial....act like toddlers with their *NO-ONE tells me what to do* attitude and then continue drinking themselves to death.Then they show up on deaths doorstep to the E R or clinic begging to be saved when the damage is done:( C. Jones R.N.

Warren

Alcohol will kill you. Put the bottle DOWN! Consume some weed when you get home at night and CHILL. Cooking with cannabis is healthy too.

b de v

Just said a prayer for you M.

Mee

You don't want to die BUT JUST IN CASE make amends with your maker and plan your FUNERAL

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5