Valerie Harper

'Dancing with the Stars'

Despite Terminal Brain Cancer

8/28/2013 10:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0828-valorie-harper-dwts-tmz
Valerie Harper
-- whom doctors gave three months to live back in March due to her terminal brain cancer -- hasn't just defied medicine by staying alive ... she's signed on to "Dancing with the Stars."

As we reported, 74-year-old Harper -- famous for playing the role of Rhoda on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" -- announced she had been diagnosed with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, a rare form of cancer in which cancer cells spread into the membrane surrounding the brain.

Doctors gave her roughly until June to live ... but it's already August, and we've learned she's doing so well she is set to appear on the upcoming season of "Dancing," an extremely physically-demanding reality show.

We're told Valerie and her partner Tristan have already been practicing for two days, and she's surprisingly good. Our sources say she's completely self-sufficient and doesn't need any special assistance ... at least so far.

TMZ broke the story ... Leah Remini will also be on the next season, as well as Snooki, Elizabeth BerkleyAmber Riley from "Glee," and Christina Milian.

0828_dwts_winners_footer_v2

KCQT

Wow! That is fantastic!

go home!

I wish the best for her health, but from a contestants standpoint, it is not right to have her on the show because it is not fair to other competitors. She will have the sympathy vote no matter what. How could anyone not vote for her? I would never sign up with her on the cast. All that hard work knowing you are going to lose.

samael

I do have respect for Valerie Harper, her doctor's diagnosed and told Valerie in Jan 2013 about her terminal brain cancer.

If this is what Valerie wants - let her have fun!

I will enjoy watching her kick butt! She would never endanger her health so i am sure the specialists have given her the thumbs up sign!

Go girl....can't wait to see her.

dennis

Good for her, but wow! What potential for disaster. The other "start" are going to get a little bit lost in the noise too. Not sure this is good.

Woot

Valerie, I hope you live exactly as long as you want to and in full health and happiness! ROCK ON, GIRL!

bazinga

She'll get all sympathy votes for sure. Not fair.

Laura

I won't miss this season--this is great. Love Valerie and love Leah.

Carly

See? Miracles can happen.

HRH Prince Michael

Glory, to The True and Living God of Israel, The Most Divine Yahweh!
Glory, to The Most Holy and Victorious King of Kings,
Christ Yeshua!
Say a prayer. Believe a prayer. LIVE A PRAYER!
Valerie Harper, Godspeed!

Craigslist NYC Rant & Rave Section:
The House of David - 50th Anniversary-
"I Have a Drone?"

Spanky

I love DWTS the guys are hot!!

Simone

Good for her!! What an amazing spirit this woman has. I think this is the only thing that could get me watching DWTS again.

Chun LI

Dancing with the Terminally ILL

Your S&M Girlfriend

Are you fricking kidding me??? This lady fell for the bait? Snookie? They're asking FARAH ABRAHAM??? Paula Deen? Dear Mother of God, what an awful way to go out in the company of filth and has beens.

fooman2

You can sit at home and wait to die or dance your ass off. I hope she can do it. Quoting Mr. G. Brooks
I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end
The way it all would go
Our lives
Are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'da had to miss the dance........

DANCE Valarie Dance... Dance until You die.

dierdre

I love Valerie Harper, & totally loved her as "Rhoda" back in the day. I wish you nothing but happiness, & of course good health. She is very strong. As far as I'm concerned these Doctor's DO NOT know everything. I hate it when they try & play GOD. Hopefully she will be around for a long, long, time and prove them all wrong. I don't like watching DWTS, but I will watch this one....