Phil Everly

Dead at 74

1/3/2014 8:14 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0103-phil-everly-01
Phil Everly ... who comprised half of one of the most successful duos in music history -- The Everly Brothers -- died today.

Phil and Don Everly had an enormous influence on John Lennon and Paul McCartney ... and The Beatles weren't alone.  The Beach Boys, Simon and Garfunkel, The Byrds and countless other singers seized on the amazing harmony of the duo.

Among their hits -- "Bye Bye Love," "When Will I Be Loved" and "All I Have to Do Is Dream."

Phil died as a result of complications from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Dead account Delete at will

about time you posted it.
I keep telling ya we need a celebrity death pool on the site. could have had 2 winners today

shakedoggy

was he bigoted like phil robertson? or was he full of it like dr. phil?

Dead account Delete at will

'Gone With the Wind' actress dies at 98

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Alicia Rhett, an actress who played one of the sisters of Ashley Wilkes in "Gone with the Wind," died Friday. She was 98.

Rhett died of natural causes about 5 p.m. at the Bishop Gadsden Episcopal Retirement Community in Charleston, said Gadsden spokeswoman Kimberly Farfone Borts.

Rhett was the oldest surviving cast member of the 1939 film starring Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable, Farfone said.

Still-surviving cast members include Olivia de Havilland, 97, who played Ashley Wilkes' cousin and wife, Melanie Hamilton; Mary Anderson, 93, who played Maybelle Merriweather; and Mickey Kuhn, 81, who played Beau Wilkes, Farfone said.

Rhett was born Feb. 1, 1915, in Savannah, Ga., Farfone said. She had been living at the retirement community in Charleston since August 2002.

In the movie, India Wilkes is a sister of Ashley Wilkes, with whom Scarlett O'Hara is deeply in love before Ashley marries Melanie and Scarlett becomes involved with Rhett Butler.

In addition to being an actress, Alicia Rhett also was a portrait artist and illustrator. She sketched her fellow "Gone with the Wind" actors between takes of the film, Farfone said.

BLUE UGLY 💩

74 is too young to die

namers

Bye bye Phil and thanks for the songs. RIP.

C-MAN

You are carried now on the wings of a nightingale. R.I.P.

Clytemnestra

The Everly Brothers were among thr greats of Rock'n'Roll. Beautiful songs with incredible harmonies that have stoo for over five decades. I mourn Phil's death for that, but also for the way he died and why he died: a life-long cigarette smoking habit. I'm sure he would advise youngsters to never start. I am teary because some of my most romantic memories are dancing with my girlfriend to the Everly a Brothers songs.

LDB

R.I.P.

Somerville

Only 23 comments?

This is awful.

I had a big crush on Don but the death of Phil is just terrible.

Somerville

Paul McCartney sings about "Phil and Don" in his 1976 hit, "Let Em In."

Gretel

My mom told me that when she was a little girl she loved their music so much that her parents brought her all of their records. Their music still holds up 50-some years later. RIP Phil.

gail

So sad to hear this news. The Everly Brothers were one of the pioneers of rock music and a huge influence on
so many musicians. RiP Phil.

Hot Dumb Italian Mike

One of the kings of Rock n roll....rest in peace!

Maninder

RIP phil everly.... watch 5 musical hits of everly bros...... http://www.newsdesire.com/watch-5-musical-hits-everly-brothers-phil-everly-dies-74/

barnyardhumor

Goo d music, good guys. Sure better than the crap that is pumped out today. Years ago you had to depend on your voice, not smoke and mirrors.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments