« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Torrey Smith

NFL Player Fires Off Homophobic Slur

1/3/2014 10:32 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0102-torrey-smith-01
update_graphic_red_bar
10:50 AM PT -- Torrey is standing his ground ... tweeting, "I wasn't being offensive nor am I homophobic not apologizing or taking it down."
update-grey-gray-bar
With the Chris Kluwe gay controversy raging, Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith has thrust himself into the mix by hurling a homophobic slur in public.

Smith just posted a photo on Instagram featuring a man wearing pink flowery socks ... along with the caption, "Look at this queen."

Seriously.

0103-torrey-smithInteresting timing, considering Kluwe says he was blackballed from the NFL for crusading against gay hatred -- like this -- and pushing for equality.

Of course, it ain't the first time an NFL star has used a homophobic slur in public -- just last year, 49ers defensive star Chris Culliver came under serious fire after saying he wouldn't play with a gay teammate because he's not into "that sweet stuff."

We've reached out to Torrey's rep -- so far, no word back.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

John Tiller

Queen is a homophobic slur really?

Ferndog68

This is not a story. Keep it moving

Kristie

What a ridiculous story. Get your facts straight before posting trash. This is Torrey's younger brother. No homophobia going on, just "brotherly love"

JPS

Why is it called homophobic?

A phobia is a fear of something. I doubt he is afraid of homosexuals. So why use the term homophobic?

Phil Mcl

Leave these pro athletes alone they have the right to their own opinions!!!! This P.C. crap has gone to far!!

Palinista

Good grief.

Queen is not a homophobic slur.

I have just stated a fact.

NIck

Smith has as much right to his opinion and to NOT be slurred or ridiculed as any pro-gay has to their opinion. You see you gays realty don't get to have it both ways and people are sick and tired of your hetrophobic agenda

Queen.of.the.Obvious

I knew a Cully reference was going to come up @@ I still don't see what was so offensive about his statement. He came under fire for "sweet stuff"? Now this guy for "queen"? Really? Get over it, Harvey.

Gwen

TMZ, I love you, but damn, c'mon!!! Stop making something out of nothing!! If you have ever met Torrey, been around Torrey, or read about him, you would know this is bullsh*t to even accuse him of being homophobic !! I'm so f'ing tired of whiney ass people!! Everyone has to whine about something.

Thomas8912

Stop blowing things out of proportion. This homophobic and racist crap must stop!!! Ppl can say anything these days

Ron Fing Swanson

Mountain out of a mole hill by That gay group just watch.

Drake2589

If this is homophobic how can one homosexual man say that to another and its okay? I don't like Torrey because of the team he plays for but I know for a fact he didn't post this as a homophobic slur this is just blown way out of proportion.

Drake2589

I'm pretty sure that Tim could have found a better story than this even the ice truck is better.

Buck Rogers

He called him a Queen? Fire him! No, off with his head! Let's use him as an example so that people learn you can't say things that might hurt other people's feelings - especially the gays.

Unbroken Chain

People are so stupid with this twitter and Facebook crap. It's amazing to me that people feel the need to express themselves to others and le everyone know what they are doing every minute of their lives. Get over yourselves everybody. This technology is the downfall of our society. People don't even know how to communicate with each other on a personal level anymore! I remember simpler times and I just miss it so Much and fell sorry for people that have to grow up in this mess that was created for them so a few could become billionaires

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments