Russell Johnson

Professor From Gilligan's Island

Dead at 89

1/16/2014 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0116-Russell-Johnson-gilligans-island

The actor who played the Professor in "Gilligan's Island" has died ... TMZ has learned.

Russell Johnson, who played Professor Roy Hinkley, died of natural causes at his home in Washington.

Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann, just posted on Facebook, "My 2 favorite people are now gone.  The professor past (sic) away this morning.  My heart is broken."

The other person who died is Bob Denver, who played Gilligan.  He died in 2005.

Johnson was on the show from 1964 to 1967.   Johnson was not in the original opening of the show.  He and Mary Ann were referred to as "The rest."  But Denver insisted that they be included and that happened later.

011614_gilligans_island_theme_launch
Wells went on:  "Russell was a true gentleman, a good father, a great friend, and 'the rest.'"

Johnson was married -- this was his third wife.  He passed away in hospice, surrounded by his wife and 2 kids.

Johnson was 89.

The only surviving members of the original cast are Mary Ann and Ginger, played by Tina Louise.

011614_profesor_schools_launch

0116_russell_johnson_remembering_footer

lucydiamond2x

Hello did not see any mention of Jonas Grumby also known as the skipper if I recall correctly portrayed by Alan Hale Jr

The New Improved Sock Puppet

I was a kid and Mary Ann was my girl but I thought Ginger was pretty damn hot. I thought The Professor was damn lucky. I still love the show. RIP.

Hell If I Know

Loved that show. RIP Professor.

Susan

When I was a little kid I wanted to marry the professor. Rest in peace Mr Johnson.

Dee

So sorry to hear the news. My condolences to the family. One can only hope he had us much joy in his life as he gave all of us. God speed Mr. Johnson a.k.a. "Professor". Now all can be together on God's island and feel as though they are now home.

EFB2826

Another good one gone. 89 is a long life. RIP.

BIGROBB2321

Such a good man..RIP Professor...

toddpugz7111

The shows "cool factor" totally outlived its production run. You just don't see that much anymore. Wish I would have saved that Gilligan's Island lunch box I had in the 3rd grade. RIP Prof.

Dee

So sorry to hear the news. My condolences to the family. One can only hope he had us much joy in his life as he gave all of us. God speed Mr. Johnson a.k.a. "Professor". All can now be together on God's island and feel as though they are finally home.

Vote2012

He drifted off to that island in the sky.

sharon

Well, he did finally get off the island but it wasn't Gilligan's Island. He lived on Bainbridge Island in Kitsap County, WA.

Tina M Footes

AWWW my thoughts and prayers to the prof family and friends, we loved him, he seemed like a really nice guy.

The Truth Is Out There

Awwwww. So sad. All these wonderful people who made these wonderful shows I loved while growing up are almost all gone. So sad.

At least they have the legacy of having a "cult" status show to be remembered by.

Britt S.

So sad to see Russell Johnson has passed awy. My favorite childhood show. The only ones left are Mary Ann and Ginger. I'm feeling so old now. R.I.P. Professor.

cindy