Russell Johnson

Professor From Gilligan's Island

Dead at 89

1/16/2014 2:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0116-Russell-Johnson-gilligans-island

The actor who played the Professor in "Gilligan's Island" has died ... TMZ has learned.

Russell Johnson, who played Professor Roy Hinkley, died of natural causes at his home in Washington.

Dawn Wells, who played Mary Ann, just posted on Facebook, "My 2 favorite people are now gone.  The professor past (sic) away this morning.  My heart is broken."

The other person who died is Bob Denver, who played Gilligan.  He died in 2005.

Johnson was on the show from 1964 to 1967.   Johnson was not in the original opening of the show.  He and Mary Ann were referred to as "The rest."  But Denver insisted that they be included and that happened later.

011614_gilligans_island_theme_launch
Wells went on:  "Russell was a true gentleman, a good father, a great friend, and 'the rest.'"

Johnson was married -- this was his third wife.  He passed away in hospice, surrounded by his wife and 2 kids.

Johnson was 89.

The only surviving members of the original cast are Mary Ann and Ginger, played by Tina Louise.

011614_profesor_schools_launch

0116_russell_johnson_remembering_footer

Gary

Sorry to hear about the Professor. I still have a crush on Mary Ann though

flycaravan@aol.com

Yes, I guess the whole team are now at the Island enjoy their time with God. May god bless him and his family

bj

he was always my favorite on gilligan's isle...smokin' hot handsome. RIP

georgechevrolet

Damn, two pieces of my childhood gone on the same day. The Professor and Reuben Kincaid from the Partridge Family....anyone else feeling old?

Leatherstocking

One of my favorite childhood characters - The comedic MacGyver of the '60...s, he was one of my inspirations for tinkering and later an engineering career. Remember Russ in westerns as well. Glad so many have good memories.

Keith

One of the two true castaways. RIP professor.

Quiet

i use to have such a crush on him

Cherie

Gillian's Island is on tonight on TV land. It will be bittersweet. So just sit right back and enjoy a tale...http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/01/16/gilligans-island-docks-at-tv-land-for-the-first-time-in-10-years/230015/

crystalynn

R.iP

Keyser Söze

Well, they always come in threes...

Frankly, I kinda thought he was already gone.

He had a long live and was blessed enough to hang out for years with Dawn Wells and Tina Louise in their youths, so he had a GREAT life!

RIP... you lucky SoB.

gossip_woman

how sad.. may he Rip condolences to his family and friends.

mike53051

R.I.P

dierdre

I really liked the professor...May he rest in peace...So sad the whole cast is gone..It was a great show..

Cathy

Grew up watching "Gilligan's Island". Rest in peace professor.

buggs

rip russ. thanks for all the great mems!!