Ellen Page

'I Am Gay'

2/14/2014 8:37 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ellen Page -- who hit Hollywood hard with "Juno" -- just came out in pretty spectacular fashion -- declaring she's gay and saying, "I am tired of hiding and I am tired of lying by omission."

The 26-year-old actress formally unveiled her sexuality at the HRC's Time to Thrive event, an LGBT conference designed to help the LGBT youth, saying, "I am here today because I am gay ... and because maybe I can make a difference."

Page said, "I suffered for years because I was scared to come out.  My spirit suffered, my mental health suffered and my relationships suffered.  And I'm standing here today, with all of you, on the other side of the pain."

Her next big film is "X-Men:  Days of Future Past."  Hollywood will embrace Ellen ... it will be interesting to see if studio big wigs will do the same.

TheBestHeEverHad

Meanwhile Georgia and South Carolina had an earthquake last night. I don't think people should come out as gay or straight, just live your life. No need for announcements.

Vegeta

We all knew this. Still sucks though. Still hot/cute to me regardless.

Cookie35

Ok... I am going to comment on this subject for the 50th time! We don't need a big deal out of the gay subject! Live your life and be happy with that! I feel when gay people announce there sexual it it's because they know it's wrong and they have to reassure there selfs it's not wrong!

August

You could tell she was a bull-dyke in her Juno role....

liz

Who cares?

DarcyE

Most of these comments on here make me sick to my stomach. So much hate and bigotry out there. I hope your children tell you they're gay someday. Maybe it will help change your homophobic ways and you will learn to have some respect for people that aren't like you. Or maybe some of you are like us and YOU have something to hide because YOU'RE afraid of what people will say. That's why we are forced to stay closeted. Because of sh*t comments like the ones on this thread..

Mark

I am 60 years old and have been in the closet with this all these years. Today, I am coming out and announcing to the world...I am a straight heterosexual. Wow...now I feel so much better to have that off my shoulders.

shutupgirl

Love her. Congrats!

Irene

Why do people feel the need to tell total strangers about their sexual preference??? Who cares?? Is it affecting your job? If not, please shut up and stop announcing this crap.

karen

So? who cares if shes gay or not. Shouldnt really matter shes happy let her live her life in peace and happiness. Good for her for coming out.

kraze4u

Great, you're guy! Can we just make a come out the closet day for the gays so we don't need a press conference every other work about someone publicizing their sexuality.

tmrice

The point of people announcing their sexualities is to provide support to those who are struggling and to allow others to embrace them for who they truly are.

Marilyn

I don't understand why everyone thinks they have to give a report on their sex life to the entire world. That's fine that she's gay ... I could care less who she sleeps with. But I don't tell everyone about my sex life and I'd rather not hear about hers or anyone else's.

yomama

Hiding? I think a lot more people knew than she realized.

yomama

Hiding? I think a lot more people knew than she realized.