Ellen Page

'I Am Gay'

2/14/2014 8:37 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Ellen Page -- who hit Hollywood hard with "Juno" -- just came out in pretty spectacular fashion -- declaring she's gay and saying, "I am tired of hiding and I am tired of lying by omission."

The 26-year-old actress formally unveiled her sexuality at the HRC's Time to Thrive event, an LGBT conference designed to help the LGBT youth, saying, "I am here today because I am gay ... and because maybe I can make a difference."

Page said, "I suffered for years because I was scared to come out.  My spirit suffered, my mental health suffered and my relationships suffered.  And I'm standing here today, with all of you, on the other side of the pain."

Her next big film is "X-Men:  Days of Future Past."  Hollywood will embrace Ellen ... it will be interesting to see if studio big wigs will do the same.

CremeBrulee

Yeah, this is a real shocker. She pulled an Anderson Cooper.

moe

Why is everyone *coming out* these days. Who cares.. big deal... Whoopie doo!

Ladygoodman

We won't stop till someone calls the cops and then pretend that nothing ever happened

franklyspeaking

This is Clay Aiken all over again.

Truth

Why are we supposed to applaud gay people? You say it's sad that anyone makes a big deal out of it. But, then you expect everyone to applaud gay everything, or they get branded a hater. Most people really don't care either way. You are who you are.

Stephanie Placencia

I literally just cried i am so so happy for her, I'm straight and even I felt touched by this speech, We need to stop hate in general , love has no rules

christy

Why is this a surprise? Is there going to be a big party or press conference? Every time someone makes a Gay announcement seems like it has to be a big ordeal.

sunnyroberto

When I think back on all the guys/gals who came out of the closet, the only two who surprised me were Rock Hudson and George Takei.

Adam

Who cares, who cares, who cares!?! Yeah for the teleprompters! And... who cares! Move on!

Adam

I'm straight! Yeah ME!

CremeBrulee

Now whip it...Into shape...Step it up...Get straight...Go forward...Move ahead...Try to detect it...It's not too late...To whip it...Whip it good!!

beemo63

And this is a surprise to who???

Vicky

Are there any movie roles for lesbians? Something tells me the studios might not hire her.

taffy84

Who

AwkwardCheerios

Everyone's like who cares if people are gay or good for them. Go to anything about Bieber & all u see is people commenting degrading him & using gay as an insult towards him even though he's clearly straight. Smh at society