Anita Baker

I'm No Longer a Wanted Woman

And I'm SO Happy!

3/24/2014 12:22 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0324-anita-baker-01

Anita Baker
has dodged arrest in Detroit, after a judge withdrew a warrant to haul her into custody.

TMZ broke the story ... Anita was a no show at a court hearing over a lawsuit filed by a house painter who she hired to repair water damage to her home.  Anita says she didn't pay him the balance owed because he screwed up the job.  He sued, she was a no show in court and he got a default judgment.

There was a follow-up hearing last week, and she didn't show for that either, and that's when the judge issued the arrest warrant.

The warrant was withdrawn today ... after her lawyer went to court and insisted Anita was never served with legal docs.

The lawyer will go to court next month in an attempt to set aside the default judgment ... on grounds she was never served with the lawsuit in the first place.

6one9

Bet she's gonna have a great week ahead!!
PPL `` with $$$ ! :)

verlinda

She should have taken the Contractors to Court, if she received a sh!ty job

Anonymous

I don't believe her, and she is still a deadbeat in my book.

Sincerity

I'm very happy to hear Ms. Baker won't be incarcerated!!! Personally, I hope she doesn't quickly "settle up" with the contractor!!! If he actually produced "SUBSTANDARD" workmanship, he doesn't deserve to be paid, immediately!!! Let him "SWEAT" a little while longer!!!

Shoozie

She knows she has been served now. She still will have to pay up.

my2cents

Just let me know that I am special to yoouu...you're my aaaaangel-

BLUE UGLY 💩

Leave Anita alone

Sherron

Why don't these celebrities just pay their bills like everyone else? Seems like their always thinking I'm a celebrity so rules don't apply to me!!

think101

Good for her, now leave her alone and go find some real criminals.

Truth

EWWW, BITCH GET A NEW DENTIST. THEM'S LOWER TEETH FILLINS LOOK UNFINISHED TOO. MEANTIME LOSE 50 LBS AS WELL. #TRUTH!!

Kelly

I saw Anita Baker in concert about 25 years ago or so. She stopped in mid song to SCREAM at the musicians. It was something like, "That's not how we did it in rehearsal, Sal!" She went on to hurl abuse at them. My friends and I and a bunch of other people walked out.

Kelly

PS Pay your bills, scrub.

Davis

Who the hell would render a judgement against anita baker? Never happen

Davis

And thats why you dont pay a contractor up front the guys probably a drug addict who went on a binge with the money the came to work hungover

Ray8

I wonder if Anita can recoup lost concert income due to this BS? She is still very popular and in high demand.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments