David Letterman

I'm Retiring

4/3/2014 1:32 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

040314_david_letterman_retirement_launch
David Letterman, the longest-serving late-night talk show host in TV history, has just announced his retirement.

Letterman made the announcement during the taping of his show Thursday in New York, telling the audience his last show will take place in 2015.

He told the audience ... he's turning 67 and wants to spend more time with his family.  Dave went on to say he'd be retiring in the next year or 2.  The audience thought he was joking because he said, "Finally Paul and I can get married."

040314_david_letterman_california_launch

Johnny Depp then came on and told Dave people backstage were weeping.  It appears Dave's staff knew of the announcement and many were backstage.

During his announcement, Dave said he started in the business when he was 34 so he's been doing it for half his life, and now it was time to be with his son.

040314_david_letterman_10th_anniversary_launch_v3

Letterman began his Hollywood career as a stand-up comedian in the late 1970s, appearing several times on "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson." He got his morning show in 1980 and began his late night career in 1982 on NBC with "Late Night with David Letterman."

040314_david_letterman_taco_bell_launch

11 years later in 1993, Letterman moved to CBS to host "The Late Show with David Letterman," after Jay Leno was tapped to replace Johnny Carson on NBC.

Letterman's CBS contract is scheduled to expire next year and Letterman won't be re-upping.

0403_david_letterman_footer

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

GM

good riddance

tmzsux

Good

Marilyn

Never watch the unfunny creep!

Unbroken Chain

Wow. That makes me feel old. I hope he enjoys his retirement. Used to watch him every night of rowing up

madman-stephan

The home office will never be the same.

Keyser Söze

'Couldn't have careless BOTH times Leno made his announcements, but, even though I stop watching on the reg a while back, this one hits home.

You're going to be miss, Dave.

Cyberquill

Moving to 10pm?

NoriWest

David is still too young.

Kelly

Bummer. He'll be missed.

August

WHO?

franklyspeaking

He can't bear Jimmys getting better ratings with his methods. .LETTERMAN RULES!!!

Joi

I'm going to miss Dave. This will give him more time to be with his son. Good luck Dave.

bring back recent posts

End of another era in television, I will miss him big time, as I do Jay and especially Johnny . Nothing original on TV nighttime or daytime. Sucks! It's all reality crap now. Ugh.

marlab

I will truly miss him!

Steve

Probably going to work for Putin. He used to be funny but when he became a mouthpiece for the DNC, I tuned out.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments