« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

George Foreman

Bernard Hopkins Should Retire

'You Gotta Know When to Stop'

4/23/2014 12:35 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0422_george_foreman_Bernard-Hopkins_getty

The legendary George Foreman tells TMZ Sports he has a message for Bernard Hopkins -- HANG 'EM UP ... while you still have your health.

Foreman -- who famously fought until he was 48-years-old -- says he was incredibly impressed with 49-year-old B-Hop's commanding victory over Beibut Shumenov this weekend ... but cautions, "Don't tempt fate."

"I fought all the way until I was about 50," Foreman says ... "Around my 56th birthday, I was gonna come back. I saw a path to the heavyweight championship. My wife said, 'you're not gonna do it.' We all need someone like that. It was the best thing that could've happened to me."

Foreman adds, "Leave while you can. When the curtain closes, you don't want to be laying on your back in the middle of the ring.

When asked what he would say to Hopkins, Foreman told us, "Bernard, you looked great! Fantastic! Isn't that the way you wanna go out? You looked unbeatable, now leave."

"I think Muhammad Ali would say the same thing. Get out and smell the roses.

"There's life after boxing," George says ... joking, "If he makes a Bernard Hopkins Grill, I'll have all my kids buy one! I have 10 kids, 10 grandkids, and 2 great grandchildren. He can make a lot of money just off us!"

042314_george_foreman_launch

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

⇛ GAYS ⇛ STAY THE HELL OUT OF UTAH ⇛

You Tell Them,George!

Black Adam

B-Hop is not human. He died Seven years ago and was replaced with a Cybernetic Clone.

Sally M

George seems like a great guy! And yes I do have a GF grill. Love it!

jesselugo

every one has to know when he should retire if he feels good he know what he is doing everybody else don't have to say anything only the boxer he feels what he feels and you know when to retire that is when you feel like ritiring so nobody should say when to retire only the boxer is the one who has the right to retire when ever you feel that you are not compatible

Blockboy720

Yeah but Bernard dont have that grill to fall back on.

K South West

B Hop Keep fighting...don't listen to the people who tell you to stop..their is no limit!

K South West

Not only should he stop fighting but he should name all his kids George as well

lourdgoogoo

Hopkins should go out on a high note.

P.S. The George Foreman grill is awesome.

K South West

Nard this muslim Bol from Whole Foods don't stop fighting... Your balance is better than Muhammad Ali... everyone knows your balance is the best... looks like you were born tap dancing