Justin Bieber

I'm Sorry

For My Racist Joke

6/1/2014 2:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0601-justin-bieber-tmz-01Justin Bieber is apologizing for telling a racist joke when he was 15 ... blaming it partly on his age.

Justin tells TMZ, "As a kid, I didn't understand the power of certain words and how they can hurt. I thought it was ok to repeat hurtful words and jokes, but didn't realize at the time that it wasn't funny and that in fact my actions were continuing the ignorance."

Justin goes on, "Thanks to friends and family I learned from my mistakes and grew up and apologized for those wrongs. Now that these mistakes from the past have become public I need to apologize again to all those I have offended."

Justin continues, "I'm very sorry. I take my friendships with people of all cultures very seriously and I apologize for offending or hurting anyone with my childish and inexcusable mistake. I was a kid then and I am a man now who knows my responsibility to the world and to not make that mistake again."

And Justin says, "Ignorance has no place in our society and I hope the sharing of my faults can prevent others from making the same mistake in the future. I thought long and hard about what I wanted to say but telling the truth is always what's right."

Justin ends with this: "Five years ago I made a reckless and immature mistake and I'm grateful to those close to me who helped me learn those lessons as a young man. Once again....I'm sorry."

053114_justin_bieber_launch

PRMateo

he thinks because he says "sorry" he gets a pass? he is only 19 now. hardly a man. he knew that the words he said were wrong then. he just doesn't want to be alienated from his current "friends". so basically paula deen and donald sterling get hung from the trees and beiber gets a pass? he must be quite a good penis sucker for him to be forgiven so easily. can we stop giving this hack attention for everything and just forget him completely?

Leave-Britney-Alone

I read that his managers tried to buy the tape so it would never go public ( I guess TMZ had it). Really takes away from the sincerity, he just got caught.

MILK

Justin Bieber is gay

lisa

I don't care for this a$$ hat one bit, kinda wish he would go away but come on...Puhleeez... like none of you have ever said anything stupid like that. . Pfffft glass houses people!

emmyg

It was 5 years ago!!!! Seriously...... Do people have nothing better to do? Has no one else ever said bad words or told/laughed at humor they really shouldnt? Especially as a TEENAGER........ I would think there are far more important things in the world to bitch about than Justin Beiber.

naue7

is he now going to say sorry for being a brat? can't blame age on that one..

tgrfan42069

dont like the douche..but he shouldnt have to apologize for telling a joke..folks like chris rock and so on say way worse under the guise of comedy

cooterou812

"As a man now." It's your lie, you tell it!

Jereas

Now, I guess since One Direction wanted this to leak, to overshadow their racial slur, Bieber owns up to it when he made this mistake as a 15 year old.
Louis Tomlinson the rat is 22 year old and didn't care when he used the n-word.
Good on you, Bieber

MILK

Anyways, I got a better one... What's the most confusing day in the ghetto? Father's Day!

Lahm

Everyone needs to stop acting innocent. I'm 100% sure everyone has said or laughed at a racist joke. Just because beiber made a joke doesn't mean he is the only one. People have to get off his sac already

Lahm

At least he apologized unlike the guy from one direction

madison

Jb is black ! The dude is not racist we all know that! Im starting to get parronoid cause I feel someone might be recording my conversation! It seems like alot of that has been going on! Plz stop the madness! Js

Marisa

"I take my friendships with people of all cultures very seriously..." Hahaha Who wrote this for him?

Linda

I am a black woman and whether someone wrote what he said or not, I accept it because he was and in many ways, still is a kid. He was legally a kid. His action represent him of being stupid more then racism. I say he is given way too much attention.

TMZ is about news. They are reporting it down, but they also did their best to cut him so slack. They made it clear it was when he was 15 years old. I give them credit for that. They could have left out a lot of facts like most do. I m just saying..........