« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Olympic Swimmer Ian Thorpe

I'm Comfortable Saying I'm Gay

7/13/2014 9:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

071314_ian_thorpe_launchFive-time Olympic swimming gold medalist Ian Thorpe confirmed he's gay during an Australian sit-down interview Sunday ... after years of speculation over his sexuality.

Thorpe had denied he was gay for a long time, but told Network Ten he realized the truth about himself sometime in the past few weeks ... and started coming out to the people closest to him.

The Thorpedo -- who dominated the 2000 Summer Games in Sydney -- says he lied about his sexuality because he was too young at the time to know the truth.

Thorpe says he doesn't feel bad about lying either, explaining, "I’m comfortable saying I’m a gay man. And I don’t want young people to feel the same way that I did. You can grow up, you can be comfortable, and you can be gay."

Thorpe added he was worried about reaction from family, but says they've been extremely supportive.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

♫ ♪♪♫ ♪ Wacko Claus ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪

★★★★★ Cream - I'm so GLAAD ★★★★★

۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ

♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪

I'm so GLAAD, I'm so GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm so GLAAD, I'm so GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do
I'm tired of weeping, I'm tired of moaning, I'm tired of crying for you
I'm so GLAAD, I'm so GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm GLAD, I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm so GLAD, I'm so GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G

♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪

I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm tired of weeping, I'm tired of moaning, I'm tired of groaning for you
I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do
I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD...I'm not aTMZ F A G

♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪

(Chorus repeated 5 times)

♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪

I'm so GLAAD, I'm GLAAD,...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm so GLAAD, I'm GLAAD,...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm so GLAAD, I'm so GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
Donna what to do, Donna know what to do, don't know what to do
Tired of weepin', tired of moanin', and I'm tired of groanin' for you

♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪

I'm so GLAAD, I'm so GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD...I'm not aTMZ F A G
I'm so GLAAD, I'm so GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
Tired of weepin', tired of moanin', tired of groaning for you
Donna what to do, Donna what to do, don't know what to do, yeah
I'm so GLAAD, I'm so GLADD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD, I'm GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G
I'm so GLAAD, I'm so GLAAD...I'm not a TMZ F A G

I'm GLADD, I'm GLADD, I'm GLAAD.... I'm not a TMZ F A G

♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪

(Chorus repeated 4 times)

♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫ ♫ ♪♪♫ ♪

★★★★★★ Cream - i'm so GLAAD ★★★★★★

۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ

---------------------------------

★★★★★ Cream - I'm so GLAAD ★★★★★

۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ

Marco Polo

Who is this dude and why should I care whether he is gay??

⇛ GAYS ⇛ STAY THE HELL OUT OF UTAH ⇛

Yet,

Another Disgusting ⓕⓐⓖⓖⓞⓣ
Story From The Weekend TMG Turd
Ticklers Staff...TMG = Too Many Gays!

Don't Bend Over For The "Gaystoppo"!
Fight Back!

˜”*”˜˜”**”˜˜”*”˜⇛( ۞_۟۞))¸.°•¸.°•

Gay = Got Aids Yet.

RA

How is this something to be proud of?

V

It is a shame that in this day this amazing athlete that had his homeland singing his praises and the US add sitting up and paying attention had to hide his true self. No wonder the stress lead to his addiction issues. May he now feel free to live his authentic life.

Truth

HOW IS THIS NEWS? TONS OF SWIMMERS ARE GAY. LOOK, NO 1 DEVELOPS THEIR BODIES TO LOOK LIKE A CHIC UNLESS THEY ARE.. DINT GREG LUGANIS TEACH U ANYTHING?? #FACT #TRUTH!!

Bridget

He realized the truth about himself in the past few weeks and has already come out? Brave guy. Glad he was surrounded by people that made him feel comfortable being true to himself.

Dee

I'm so sick of these stories about people saying they're gay. Big deal! When they do something that helps another person they then can brag about something. Until then, STFU and no one cares is you like it up the ass. Go back in the closet.

Dee

I'm so sick of these stories about people saying they're gay. Big deal! When they do something that helps another person they then can brag about something. Until then, STFU and no one cares if you like it up the ass. Go back in the closet.

Rob Zombie is King

I came out as straight when I was 14.

HumanNature

GOOD FOR HIM!!!!!

Nvts

I'm sure your dad is proud of you.

Na.na.na.na Booboo.....stick ya head in doodoo

Why do these ppl lie soo much. He denied being gay in his autobiography. Speak the truth the first time, right will smith? Tom cruise? P. Pissy? Travolta?

ellenviola

HERE WE GO AGAIN! IM GAY ...GAY PEOPLE FEEL SUCH A NEED TO WANT TO SHOUT IT FROM THE MT TOP....THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE DO NOT ACCEPT IT.....GOD WILL NEVER ACCEPT..... WE ARE SICK OF HEARING IT!!! DO YOU HEAR STRAIGHT PEOPLE EVERY OTHER DAY MENTIONING HOW STRAIGHT THEY ARE? ...IM GAY ,AND YOUR A RASICIST! THATS ALL U EVER HEAR ANYMORE, ALL BECAUSE YOU STAND FIRM ON AMERICAN CHRISTIAN VALUES.......I WILL NEVER DENY GOD, OR GODS PRINCIPALS!!! YOU KNOW WHY? THEY WORK BEST!

bill_leslie

So you're saying he's been swallowing a lot more than just pool water?

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments