Robin Williams

Commits Suicide

8/11/2014 3:58 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0811-robin-williams-01
Update_Graphic_Bar
Oakland TV station KTVU reported Williams hung himself.
update_grey_gray_bar
Robin Williams
has committed suicide.

The Oscar-winning actor/comedian killed himself in Tiburon, in Northern California.   His people tell us he's been recently battling severe depression.

According to the Marin County Sheriff's Office ... authorities found Williams' body inside his home.  They say he was found unresponsive.

He was unconscious and not breathing and the coroner suspects suicide due to asphyxia.

Williams was last seen alive at his house at 10 PM Sunday night.

Robin went back to rehab last month to focus on his sobriety.  We're told alcohol was an issue.

Williams struggled with cocaine and alcohol abuse in the early '80s but was sober for 20 years ... with the exception of a stint in rehab in 2006.

0811-robin-zoo-instagram-01
One of Robin's last public appearances was at the San Francisco Zoo in June ... when the zoo named one of their howler monkeys "Robin" in his honor.

Robin's wife, Susan Schneider, says, "This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings.  I am utterly heartbroken."

081114_robin_good_will_hunting_launch

Robin's last tweet was on July 31 ... wishing his daughter Zelda Rae a happy 25th birthday. He posted a #tbt instagram pic of himself holding her as a child.  Zelda did not respond.

Late Monday evening Zelda tweeted a quote from French writer Antoine de Saint-Exupery ... "You alone will have the stars as no one else has them…In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing."

She added … "I love you. I miss you. I'll try to keep looking up. Z"

Williams was 63.

081114_robin_dead_poets_launch

081214_mork_and_mindy_launch
0811_robin_williams_remembering_footer_3

becca

The last time I was this sad at an actor passing was when John Candy died

Joh

Alcohol is the worst drug!!!!!!!!

NY_Babygirl

Nooo Wow, that's horrible. Why. :( R.I.P

UhOH!!!

WHAT THE FVCK! I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS :'(

format

mrs doubtfire has been running through my head 'i know ya used ta lucy goozy'

LMFAO

WHAT DREAMS MAY COME...

WE LOVE YOU ROBIN...

YOUR MEMORY WILL ALWAYS LIVE

haveUseenMYstapler

Damn R.I.P

HeathN

This sucks. I really have loved him for years. I knew he had SA issues; sad there was no intervention for him of late. Good grief.....

TiggyB

I've heard that it is a hoax...

The Maharincess of Franistan

Just awful. The depths of depression will lead to this if the warning signs are not caught. My heart breaks for his children. RIP.

SoCalGal

This was not yet confirmed as a suicide. Disgraceful, TMZ. Show some respect for the family and wait until we have the facts before declaring this death by suicide.

ashley

SOOOOO Sad, RIP!

Blanca Marti

Horrible news, RIP

LunarJunk

R.I.P Mr. Williams.. Condolences to his family. So tragic

justmyopinion

Omg!! Why robin why?? I am in tears..this is too sad