« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Jay Adams

Dies of Heart Attack

8/15/2014 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0815_Jay-Adams_instagram2
Jay Adams
-- a legendary skater who was portrayed by Emile Hirsch in "Lords of Dogtown" -- has died of a heart attack ... TMZ has learned

Sources connected with the skater tell TMZ ... he died late Thursday of an apparent heart attack in Mexico.

We're told Adams was there with his wife and the 2 were on a long surfing holiday.  They had been there for 3 months.

Family sources tell us ... the 53-year-old has been sober for months and had no history of heart problems.

This was the first time in 20 years Adams was allowed to leave the U.S.  He had been in and out of jail since the '80s on various felony drug charges.

0815-jay-adams-getty-01
081514_lords_of_launch
081514_jay_adams_doc_launch_v2
081514_jay_adams_launch_v2
0815_jay_adams_remembering_footer

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

namers

That's really awful! So sad all these recent deaths.

NY_Babygirl

R.i.p. That was a good movie.

sav

"he died of the waves." Punctuation?

nof

Often - and Harvey can confirm.

We think we're in better shape than we actually are.

Almost kill ourselves with a work-out we could.

Previously handle and with ease.

I'll no doubt die in the gym.

H8Kardash

RIP Jay LEGEND!!!!

traylortrash

I never heard of him. I think that birth Mark above his right eye is really cool tho. I have a small birthmark on my leg, and I've always admired those who have them on their faces because you just know they are strong. Especially growing up, kids can be so cruel to anyone who's different or looks different. Anyway RIP, 53 isn't very old.

keepinitrealincali

Sh!t I'm 53! Drugs/alcoholism is very hard on the heart. RIP

nof

I've seen dudes go into Gold's/Venice and say "8 wheels."

(405 pounds)

Forgetting they haven't trained in six months.

Grim reaper

Great movie rip jay

Naiad

I don't know who the heck this dude is but I'll tell ya what. The people we thought were gonna die ain't dying but people we didn't know were gonna die are dropping like flies. Know what I mean Lindsay? ...Courtney? JUSTIN?

There's a problem here

Wow 53. I guess all those hard living years took their toll. I hope he and his wife had a good reconnect during their time on vacation. 53 ... wow.

Sabrina

Rip skate man

Ali

I kind of remember this guy from the Venice area in the early 80's. Sad that he passed so soon. He seemed to be in good shape, but I guess the past drug use took it's toll. At least he had himself sorted and his heart was in the right place.

Lucky_130

Skate or Die

marianopadilla

Wow! I cant belive it, i was with him at Puerto Escondido, Mexico, he was surfing big waves, i paint his surfboard and had some photos with him. He looked as alaways, exaited to go on his board. RIP

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments