Clooney & Keibler Food Poisoned

7/6/2012 1:00 PM PDT

George Clooney & Stacy Keibler -- Food Poisoned in Italy

George Clooney and his girlfriend Stacy Keibler got to enjoy a meal they ate in Italy this week ... twice -- because hours after eating it ... they both got a bad case of food poisoning ... this according to sources connected with the couple.

George, Stacy, and some friends dropped by a restaurant in Cernobbio July 4th -- in the same province where Clooney owns a fancy lake house -- but they quickly regretted it.

The next day, Stacy tweeted, "Finally had a bad meal in Italy, our whole dinner party got food poisoning ‪#ohwell‬ at least I'm still in Italy."

Our sources -- who are in a position to know -- tell us the entire party who dined with George and Stacy that night got food poisoning. 

But the manager of the restaurant in question told us ... George and Co. must have gotten food poisoning elsewhere ... because it didn't happen at his restaurant.

Thankfully, we're told no one ended up in the hospital.  We're told everyone is fine.